PDA

View Full Version : fishing in alaska

07-04-2002, 10:51 PM
i didnt do any salmon fishing up there but did do some trout fishing. in the lakes i caught smaller trout,rainbows up to 14 inches or so on most every cast in the better spots. in a few rivers i did manage to find spots to catch many rainbows around 16 to 26 inches. grayling fishing is very easy with some going above two pounds. if i worked harder i could have done much better.

for ed i-- i used only my 7 piece four weight 8 foot rod. i didnt like it much at first till i put on a five weight line and then it performs just fine.

there is so much water there to fish that its hard to even name a spot to go. after about 8 at night the mossys are pretty bad so you tend to hole up unless its an open area.

all my fishing was with normal nymphs or wooly worms as it didnt pay to use drys as the fish just ate the flys to pieces, catching so many i mean.

my absoule best time was fishing in a lake near atin, b.c. it held tons of bows about 2 to 4 pounds and were hooked almost every three casts. fishing was frome sore with easy casting of only 30 feet. unbelieveable.

07-05-2002, 12:39 AM
Yes, sounds amazing.

07-05-2002, 01:51 AM
z,

I'm glad you caught fish and had a great time. Here in the Mid West the fish are eating the sharks, and they bite hard, I know from personal experience.

SPM,...play long and prosper...

07-05-2002, 09:17 AM
I think I need to find that lake in BC. I have a bruised ego to sooth after my trip to Georgetown Lake.

Sounds like you had a great time and are back just as the rivers are getting into shape here.

How did the 8' 4wt handle the bigger bows?

07-05-2002, 10:43 AM
the rod worked fine and i would get another if it broke. i cant tell the difference between it and my 500 buck sage rod. plus i like being able to easily take it to 7 pieces and put it on the dash board still rigged up.

i thought its easy to get fish out of georgetown.

07-05-2002, 05:31 PM
Fishing nymphs is great if that is all that is available...here in Utah we need to nymph much of the year. But once the dry flies start working I'd rather take a dozen fish dry then 6 dozen on nymphs(and we have that choice on the Green and Provo when they are on)

Especially when the stoneflies are out...spouses are abandoned if necessary for THAT.

A9

07-05-2002, 06:15 PM
Being on the river during hatches has to take priority. Everything else can be put off.

07-05-2002, 09:07 PM
sure but when they are hitting every cast its much easier to just throw the nymph back at them. plus the bigger fish mostly dont beat the smaller ones to the drys.

07-08-2002, 02:16 PM
my own taste, but I much prefer to fish nymphs to dries. I think it takes a little more thought, a little more technique, and you catch much larger fish that way.