PDA

View Full Version : Table image

slavic
08-01-2003, 03:20 PM
There are several things that I have learned from a live game that I never got in an online game. Last night I was talking to one of the regulars and she asked me why I bluff so much. I responded that I hardly ever bluff, especially in the 4/8 game I was playing at. She then went on to detail the following hand.

6 players limp to me on the button, I raise, sb drops, bb completes, all call.

Flop(16sb): Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB bets, all call to me, I raise, BB 3 bets, 3 call to me, I cap it, BB is all in, only the CO calls.

Turn(16BB) 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

The CO kind of nervously checks, I start to put out chips and before I can get them over the line he mucks. So heads up.

River 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

The SB shows Q5o and I mucked.

Now I'm sure most of you know what I had, or you can get pretty darn close, and I think I played it perfectly but every person at the table thought I was a rat and paid off all night long.

Perhaps I should change what I think my table image is.

rkiray
08-01-2003, 03:25 PM
Ax /images/graemlins/spade.gif of course

Ed Miller
08-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Eh... they think the same thing about me. Whatever... I would prefer that they all muck to my postflop bets, but I suppose we gotta work with what we got... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dynasty
08-01-2003, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I responded that I hardly ever bluff, especially in the 4/8 game I was playing at

[/ QUOTE ]

An opponent is paying close enough attention to draw a reasonable but wrong conclusion and you make an effort to help her get a better read on your play? What are you doing?

Just say something like "It's fun" and let he go on misreading you.

slavic
08-01-2003, 06:10 PM
I'm a sucker for those pretty ladys /images/graemlins/grin.gif

slavic
08-01-2003, 06:11 PM
Almost A /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Dynasty
08-01-2003, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a sucker for those pretty ladys /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure it's not an ego thing? Are you sure you aren't seeking the respect of your opponents?

I'm not saying you have some deep need to be worshiped and fawned over. But, most people want to be seen as at least competent and prefereably very knowledgable in most of the things they do. When somebody makes a statement which could mean they don't think much of you as a player, the natural reaction of many people is to explain why they are good.

slavic
08-01-2003, 08:07 PM
No your right, I generaly try and stay out of the chatter at the table. Her question struck me as odd and I gave it a quick reflex answer. I should keep my big yap shut.