PDA

View Full Version : Playing heads up

gibs
08-01-2003, 02:20 PM
Recently in my home game after it broke up for the night, three of us decided to stick around and play some short handed NL HE. We each put in $5 (yeah we're big spenders /images/graemlins/smile.gif), and decided to play until one of us had it all. I took out one of my two opponents fairly early and was heads up with a good chip lead. This guy hasn't been playing very long, but has watched the WPT and loves how aggressive they play. Now this is a guy that I should have beat. I am a consistant winner at my home game, while he will usually be on the losing side unless he has a lucky night. The problem was I started getting cold cards, and I mean very cold. He started betting into me a lot, and there were times where I knew he was bluffing but my hand was so bad I just couldn't do anything. He ended up beating me when the flop came 8KK. I had an 8 and something else that I can't remember. He had a big chip lead so I decided to make my move and went all in. Turns out he had the king. So what do you do when playing heads up against this type of player when your're getting cold cards? Do you wait it out for some good hands? Or should I have come back over the top of him with nothing when I thought he was bluffing?

Howard Burroughs
08-03-2003, 07:42 AM
In the small stakes no-limit home games I have played in (when it gets to that heads-up part of the night), I have found it better to wait it out against a player like your friend. Wait for the right time to let him hang himself (figure of speech).

Though YMMV, I think there are better spots then your "KK8 hand" to make a stand on.

Of course, you were only in for $5 so it sounds like you were having fun.

Best of Luck

Howard

PuppetMaster
08-03-2003, 09:22 AM
This will frequently occur at the end of a tournament heads up. I will get such cold cards that it is literally killing me to call even though I know he is bluffing. You have to pick and choose spots.

gibs
08-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Question, what does YMMV mean?

Thanks for the response.

Howard Burroughs
08-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi Gibs,

Your milage may vary (YMMV).

Best of Luck

Howard