PDA

View Full Version : too many hands?

johnd192
08-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Over 4 hrs of online play (2/4 and 1/2) I showed down 45 hands (approx 250 hands total). I won 29 and lost 16. I doubled the size of my initial stake, but I am wondering if I played too many hands or took too many hands to the end?
I have been playing poker (friends/family) for a long time, but now am trying to get better at it. I am currently reading HEPFAP and TOP. Ill probably be posting hands in the near future for advice.
thanks in advance,
JD

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-01-2003, 02:13 PM
On the surface it looks high, but 250 hands is a small sample, so you could just have been getting really good cards.

J.R.
08-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Its to hard to say, as your sample size is quite small, but taking roughly 1 in 5 hands to a showdown is loose. But who can fault you if you kept getting good cards and the flops kept hitting you. I'll look for those specific hands in the future, they will likely reveal much more.

DrSavage
08-01-2003, 02:16 PM
You didn't give us enough information to make a judgement. How many hands did you play total, at what tables , how many tables at a time?
You can compare your numbers to mine if you wish : my average playing 3 3/6 tables simultaneously is 19% hands i see the flop with, 65% showdowns won and 33% wins if flops seen.

JTG51
08-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Over the long run, showing down 18% (45/250) of the hands you play will be disasterous, but over such a short period there's not really anything to be learned.

If you think you are playing too many hands, post some questionable ones. Assuming the soap opera atmosphere around here dies down, you'll get lots of good advice.

Homer
08-01-2003, 02:17 PM
John, welcome to the board. It's hard to say if you played too many or too few hands, because you didn't present the actual hands. Your question is more legitimate if you had a greater sample size, but with such a small sample it's possible that you had a great run of cards and played them like a wuss or had a horrible run of cards and played them like a maniac. I think you should present a few hands that you are unsure of, and we'll take it from there.

-- Homer

lil'
08-01-2003, 02:18 PM
There's a song by the Eagles called, "Too Many Hands." Did you know that?
I like that song...but I digress...

Kurn is right, your sample is kinda small. However, you doubled your stake, so you must be doing something right. You also won over 11% of your hands, which indicates you may be running really lucky right now.

DrSavage
08-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Nevermind, just read your post again. You are showing down too many hands, but you could just be getting a lot of good ones. It also depends on a limit and game flow.

Dynasty
08-01-2003, 04:17 PM
I think all you new players are better off if you ignore all the stats online sites give you except how much you are winning or losing. Based on many posts, I think you are much more likely to draw incorrect conclusions from these stats than you are to get anything useful from them.

If you are dealt AA 100 times in a row and raise every time, is your 100% pre-flop raising % too high?

Joe Tall
08-01-2003, 04:27 PM
Posting hands will turn you play around big time. Take time and describe the action, use the icons, etc.
No shame posting!
No pride reading replies!

Just say it, grin and bare it when you are corrected no matter what language is used, post another hand and take another on the chin.

You'll be a winner in no time. Trust me, they've turned this over-aggressive-weak-weird-too-many-calls-whatthef'isgoingon-donkey into a consistent winner.

Welcome to the forum,

Larry Joe

Jim Easton
08-01-2003, 04:32 PM
I'll second Dynasty's point. The sample size for those stats is just too small to have any meaning.

If you are really interested in the statistics, get PokerTracker or PokerStat. You can then evaluate your game by looking at the hands you play, the position you play them and the overall situation - using the hand histories.

lordkar
08-01-2003, 04:45 PM
I've been reading this website and playing Hold'em for many months and recently have seen this PokerTracker? program mentioned frequently. What is it? Does is track my hands on PartyPoker, so I don't have to do so manually? Where can I get it? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robk
08-01-2003, 05:20 PM
>Does is track my hands on PartyPoker, so I don't have to do so manually?

Yes, it also tracks your winrate with certain # of players,
in different positions, with different hands etc. It's pretty interesting, but it won't singlehandedly turn your game around. It might help you find some leaks. Go to www.pokertracker.com (http://www.pokertracker.com) and I think you can try it for free, but it costs like 25$.