PDA

View Full Version : How did I play my Royal?

Philuva
08-01-2003, 11:55 AM
Playing 6 handed in a $2-$4 home game. MP open raises, LP calls and I call with K /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif in the BB.

Flop is A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

I bet out. MP raises. LP 3-bets. I call. MP calls.

Turn is T /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

I check. MP bets. LP raises. I 3-bet. Both call.

River is 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

I bet. Both call.

MP had KJo for Broadway and LP had AQo for top two. I really wish the river was an A or a Q.

It was just my 2nd Royal ever, so I don't play them that often, so I was wondering how I did?

rkiray
08-01-2003, 12:01 PM
You did fine. You bet or raised every time. Don't see how you could make any more money.

RockLobster
08-01-2003, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It was just my 2nd Royal ever, so I don't play them that often, so I was wondering how I did?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about, oh, 2 more royals than me /images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I think you played it fine.

JTG51
08-01-2003, 01:14 PM

LOL, for some reason that strikes me as funny. I doubt you'll find anyone that has a WHOLE lot of experience playing royals. However, since I got my first one a week ago and won a 20+ BB pot with it, I'm now an expert at royal flush play and feel qualified to help you out. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd 4-bet the flop, then if they'd let me I'd 5-bet it.

Other than that, you played it just fine.

Philuva
08-01-2003, 01:28 PM
"It was just my 2nd Royal ever, so I don't play them that often, so I was wondering how I did?"

It was meant as a joke, so I am glad someone laughed.

There were two questionable plays though. Should I 4-bet the flop and should I check-raise the turn. So that is why I posted the hand.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-01-2003, 02:03 PM
I doubt you'll find anyone that has a WHOLE lot of experience playing royals.

These posts are my pet peeve. The "I flopped quads, how did I do?" posts.

I always want to say - "You hit an unbeatable hand, you won, you petaq!"

In these cases, how much you make is like 98% determined by your opponents' cards and 2% by your play.

These are the least helpful threads on the board.

OK, my turn to be cranky is over. NEXT!

Homer
08-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Warning - I am unqualified to respond to this post since I've never had a Royal Flush. But...I'll take a stab at it anyway.

I think you played it well. Another option is to cap the flop for value, then lead out on the turn when you get there.

-- Homer

CrackerZack
08-01-2003, 02:31 PM
I agree and have never had a Royal. Capping the flop looks like made hand more than a draw so KJ should give you some serious action on the turn.

Philuva
08-01-2003, 02:51 PM
Man, I have never been called a petaq before. I am not even sure if that is bad thing.

Ed Miller
08-01-2003, 03:04 PM
LP had AQo for top two. I really wish the river was an A or a Q.

Ya... that was a bummer. I made sure to get the most out of my one royal ever (and suck out like a dirty... uh... dog).

I had K /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/spade.gif on the button and raised like twenty limpers. Flop was A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. So I rule with my flushdraw/gutshot, and it's action time. Turn was the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif and it gets caperooed. River was of course the big duke, J /images/graemlins/spade.gif. Caperooed again. Some dude had 22 and another dude had AJ so we won the jackpot too.

I'm never gonna forget that hand... I'm gonna be like 80 and telling my grandkids about my one out suckout. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ulysses
08-01-2003, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
since I got my first one a week ago

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird. I got my first one a week ago as well (7/24 to be exact).

Someone raises. A couple of callers. I call in BB w/ KhJh.

Flop Js Qh Ah

I bet. Two callers.

Turn (Js Qh Ah) 2c

I check. First guy bets. Second guy raises. I cold-call. First guy calls.

River (Js Qh Ah 2c) Th

Yahoo! The two guys in the hand were poker friends, so I decided I'd let them off. Unless one of them dared to bet at my pot, in which case I'd checkraise his a$$. They both checked behind, saving $30. I collected $880 bonus money for hitting the royal flush. Woohoo!