PDA

View Full Version : fishing

Ray Zee
08-01-2003, 11:06 AM
i have been floating the flathead river alot as its quite easy to put in at my house and go downstream. less shutteling around. well the fishing has been very good in spite of a whole month of almost every day 90 to 100 degrees. you would think i was in stinking vegas or something. the cutthroat trout are hitting hoppers for me. i catch them mostly in the runs rather than the pools. in the pools i stop and swim. 10 inches to about 14 or 16. the small ones i dont hook and the hopper is too big to easily grab them which is good.

Ed I
08-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Good that the water temps are ok. Is the smoke bad? I've stayed off the local rivers because of high temps. It might be ok to fish early am and get off by noon but I figure I'll give the fish a break. Tricos are going and I really like the small stuff despite not being able to see . Cooling called for by early next week. I'll have to start running to Yellowstone country pretty soon, like the gulpper fishing on Hebgan. Hope you get a break from the smoke and fire. You seem to be making the best of it and the crowds are probably down.

Ray Zee
08-02-2003, 12:22 AM
ed, the smoke moves in at dark and goes away in the afternoon with the winds. so far it hasnt been so bad you cant go out.
the river is still cool as it comes from the bob marshall partly. warmer than flathead lake

M2d
08-02-2003, 03:43 AM
Who was it that wrote about this? Ed Zern? Not sure.
Anyway, the idea is that the skill, and thus, the thrill, of ffing is the strike. Making the fish rise to your expertly casted and drifted fly was the apex of the ffing experience. therefore, he snipped off the points of his flys, and fished them that way. fish would rise; he would feel the momentary contact, and then he'd be free to fish again.

Maybe it was Nick Lyons who wrote about it.