PDA

View Full Version : Credibility

Mike Gallo
08-01-2003, 10:24 AM
I just read a recent reply by Elysium in response to a hand that Homer J Simpson posted.

Homer J Simpson flopped a boat his opponent flopped quads. Homer posted the hand not for advice but to tell Rock lobster about the "bad" beat.

Elysium gave some of the worst advice I can ever remember reading.

I did not write this post to humiliate Elysium, I just posted it for newer posters to realize, some people on this site give truly awful advice and analysis.

Please determine based on a posters past posts if the poster has crediblity or just writes to see how many posts they can gather. Take the good information with the bad, but ferret through the information for yourself. Attempt to decide who puts up good information.

Ok I am done ranting.

Michael

Robk
08-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Reread the post. He was saying Homer should have played a different way to maximize his action, not that he should have feared quads.

> have to realize that this flop may very well have hit the > BB solidly.

because the BB might raise out his action, not have quads.

>now betting into three opponents isn't so bad. it can be >good here. but betting into how many, five holm? that is >screaming that you 73o has finally come in.

He is saying that betting into so many opponents announces a monster, not that quads is probably out there.

>you should check-call unless a raising war breaks out, >then you can go ballistic.

>on the turn, you should have bet out and hoped to get raised by the 3 or two pair

What's terrible about this advice?

Mike Gallo
08-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Rob,

Ok....I guess the least sophisticated reader (me) should have taken the time to read what he really meant to say.

Let me rephrase...he needs grammar lessons.

I am no Hemingway, however at least get your point across.

Thanks for the reply...I could not get that from his post without your interpretation.

Michael

RockLobster
08-01-2003, 12:37 PM
With the other humorous replies out there (things like "check raising a guy with quads is always a good move", "Am I being too results-oriented in asking why you didn't check-fold the flop?", and "Whenever I'm raised on the turn I automatically think quads") I assumed elysium was being funny as well: "this flop may very well have hit the BB solidly" cracked me up.

This thread turned out to be hilarious.

Despite the difficulty in reading elysium's posts, I've found that his advice is normally solid.

Now back to Homer's post. It got me thinking. My definition of a bad beat is loosely: To have a hand that is the clear mathematical favorite lose to a heavy underdog (especially if that hand should not have been involved in the pot). This hand doesn't qualify by that definition, but it's still a bad beat (he flopped top boat for the love of god!). This is a bad beat where he was ONLY a favorite BEFORE THE FLOP. Very strange.

I'll have to rework my definition.

fisherman
08-01-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm new here and haven't read a lot from everyone. Can you guys tell me which posters do have a lot of credibility? Who should I be listening to?

angry young man
08-01-2003, 01:02 PM
and don't forget to use your own judgement about the value of a post. whether the player posting is winning or losing (there are plenty of both on this forum) their advice may o may not be correct for you and the game you play in. never take anything on faith.

Mike Gallo
08-01-2003, 01:04 PM
You will figure that out for yourself in due time.

angry young man
08-01-2003, 01:05 PM
bad beat - (adv.): a hand which I lose

all the definition I've ever needed.

RockLobster
08-01-2003, 01:08 PM
I agree with MG, you'll get a feel for this as you go... but to get you started, never disagree with Rigoletto (it's in the FAQ). /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome aboard!

Ulysses
08-01-2003, 01:09 PM
As robk writes in his response and I wrote in my response on the original thread, elysium makes some very valid points in the post you cite. I also think that elysium's post was very clearly written (perhaps one of the clearest he's ever written!) and feel that given the tone of your post here, it's fair to ask the question of the day to you - do you need reading comprehension classes?

Yeah, elysium rambles on near incoherently sometimes. And sometimes he posts some very questionable strategies. But he also often posts some very solid advice, and even some of his more unorthodox recommendations can sometimes give you something interesting to think about.

While everyone in the other thread pines for bernie's return, I'll take Elysium's posts over bernie's 100% of the time.

RockLobster
08-01-2003, 01:10 PM

Ulysses
08-01-2003, 01:15 PM
I'll echo what others have said - you'll figure it out soon enough. There are a number of very solid posters on this forum.

I will say this, though. If Louie Landale posts something, chances are it's right on the money.

Homer
08-01-2003, 01:17 PM
I'm new here and haven't read a lot from everyone. Can you guys tell me which posters do have a lot of credibility? Who should I be listening to?

IMO you should read all the posts and use your best judgement to determine which ones are most credible. Some of the best posts I've read are from people who posted three or four times then disappeared (come back!) and some of the worst are from people who have exactly 2737 posts to their name.

-- Homer

Homer
08-01-2003, 01:22 PM
MG, I think there is a chance that you misinterpreted what Ely had to say. This isn't surprising since his posts are sometimes incoherent upon first glance. I think all he was trying to say was that by betting out from the BB on an 833 flop into 5 opponents, I was announcing my hand. I believe that this would be correct, had my opponents been willing to listen. However, these players would blindly call with 82/44/any two overcards/etc, so my bet is more reasonable given this particular lineup.

-- Homer

Joe Tall
08-01-2003, 01:24 PM
and some of the worst are from people who have exactly 2737 posts to their name.

Homie, are we having a pitty party, now? WTF, dude, your one of the best here, and frankly I feel should be cutting you a % of my winnings, however, there are many others that deserve a % also and I'd be playing for the forum if I were to divide it up equally.

Homer
08-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Homie, are we having a pitty party, now?

Nah, I just enjoy self-depricating humor. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-- Loser

edit: Sorry, wrong signature...should say "-- Homer"

JTG51
08-01-2003, 01:29 PM
If I've helped at all, feel free to give me whatever percentage of your winnings you feel is appropriate.

I'll collect tomorrow, assuming I can find you in that double death spiral 50/100 kill, kill game. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike Gallo
08-01-2003, 01:59 PM
and feel that given the tone of your post here, it's fair to ask the question of the day to you - do you need reading comprehension classes? I think I might /images/graemlins/grin.gif

. But he also often posts some very solid advice, and even some of his more unorthodox recommendations can sometimes give you something interesting to think about
One of my best friends would agree with you.

Perhaps I do need to reread his posts a few times to get a clearer meaning of what he wants to say.

Thanks

Michael

MrDannimal
08-01-2003, 03:40 PM
For what it's worth (probably the small blind in a play money game), I thought Ely was being negative as opposed to humorous, but only because he kept using "holm" and I couldn't figure out why. Could he just not figure out a nickname for Homer? Was it an acronym (Holdem Offensive Low-Limit Moron)? It just made me feel like "I can't even bother to refer to you by your name, you're so stupid".

If you dig into the post, it fits the humor of the thread. But in scanning it bugged me.

Stu Pidasso
08-01-2003, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking you will learn the most by reading all the post in a thread. Its always best to get multiple points of view. Even the best and the brightest here are not 100% correct on everything. Uston, Dynasty, and Clarkmiester come pretty close though.

Stu

Ulysses
08-01-2003, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I do need to reread his posts a few times to get a clearer meaning of what he wants to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough - many of Elysium's posts are confusing to say the least.... If I came off a little harsh to you in my response here, it was because I thought you were being pretty unfair to Elysium in your initial post. No hard feelings. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Vehn
08-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Trying to find the hidden deep meaning in an Elysium post is like trying to find the meaning in an Elysium post.