PDA

View Full Version : bonus tour - Ultimate Bet

ducky
08-01-2003, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Bet offered a $100 for 1st time deposits so $500 from Neteller and here we go again. Here you need 1000 Ültimate Points" to get the bonus. You get 1 point when the rake hits a buck and fractional points for smaller rakes. You can also get more than one point for bigger rakes and you get points for length of time playing as well.

One nice feature of the bonus is that it is dribbled out as you earns it. But playing small will take some time to get the bonus. It's going to take even longer because soon after I started playing, UB offered a $100 to anybody and it could be tacked on to the 1st timer's bonus so another $500 goes to UB and now I need 200 Ultimate Points.

I play a lot of 1/2 and 2/4 Omaha and holdem. But the longer I play, the more I dislike UB. Sometimes the games are real loose and agressive but my favorites are when the games become tight passive. When it's tight passive I know where I'm at and I can steal pots too.

But the UB software sucks. There seems to be some sort of resource leak since after playing for a couple or three hours, my computer starts having problems and I have to reboot. The screen showing the games list has a bug so that it takes multiple attempts to get the holdem list displayed. And sometimes you cannot play more than one game at a time as it gets into this mode of jumping back ond forth between games every second or two.

But I keep churning out ahnds and making some money. With about $40 of the bonus left to score, I get nailed with bad beat after bad beat. 4 flopped sets get cracked and then goes a boat to a bigger one.

Then comes the hand that makes me sick. Ive got QQ and UTG raises, I reraise, SB calls, UTG caps and the flop comes down Q77. SB checks UTG bets, I call, SB raise UTG reraise, I cap. Turn is a 9. It's capped again. River brings a 7 and SB shows 74o to take the pot.

I'm sick of the software, sick to my stomache and withdraw my money. I make $160 of the bonus and another $221 on the live play. That was yesterday so I don't know how long it will take to cash out.

Today I go back to UB and redeem my 1600+ Ultimate Points for a team UB hat.

My tour is over. I'm sick of poker for mow.

Cosimo
08-01-2003, 02:19 AM
I made my first deposit at UB when there was a 50% match up to a $100 deposit ($50 bonus), and then a second deposit of $500 for a 20% match cap of $100. I'm playing microlimits (25c-50c) and have racked up 1000 UltimatePoints in 30-40 hours of play. If I was playing 1-2 or higher, I'd have 4000 UltimatePoints, if not more (due to fractional points given for low rakes). I've played over 7000 hands. Note that I'm a weak-tight noob, still learning how to play.

I don't have any problems with the software. I play two or three tables at a time; sometimes four, sometimes just one. There have been a few software improvements since I started, including my previous #1 gripe--the stats window now has correct stats REGARDLESS of when you open it up. The tables have 'locked up' (for about 10-15 seconds) a handful of times in my 7000 hands, but that's been the worst of it. I think it's more stable after the recent patches.

I have seen the problem with the table list displaying incorrectly; giving it 10-15 seconds to "think about it" or switching to another game type and back usually gets it working. I tried joining the 100-200 table as a spectator several times; apparently there's a 200 spectator max before the software chokes.

My worst run of cards has been about 1200 hands, which was about -.6BB/hour (and by "hour" I mean 30 hands). Of course, shorter swings have been higher in average loss.

I am surprised at the number of poker players complaining about bad beats and cold cards. Coming from a BJ background, risk of ruin, bankroll requirements, and the rest is all old hat. With 1 BB/hr EV and a 10 BB/hr SD, it takes 27 THOUSAND hands to have a 99.87% chance of being ahead. (That still gives a 1 in 769 chance of being behind after that long.)

-Cosimo

Hung
08-01-2003, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

But the UB software sucks. There seems to be some sort of resource leak since after playing for a couple or three hours, my computer starts having problems and I have to reboot. The screen showing the games list has a bug so that it takes multiple attempts to get the holdem list displayed. And sometimes you cannot play more than one game at a time as it gets into this mode of jumping back ond forth between games every second or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct about the list. Party and empire have a similar problem.
The table flipping back and forth is an option. Check your options: Force table to front.
UB is loose? Are you crazy? UB is so tight, tighter then a JLo *ss!! You're the first person that does not like loose games. Stealing pots is only good when they're big. And when you're playing against tight players the pots will only stay small. Unless you're up against second best like that QQ hand of you. ANd sometimes they get lucky. But that's the game. If you're gonna stop because of this you're gonna stop playing on a lot of sites.

ducky
08-01-2003, 02:55 AM
quote:
I am surprised at the number of poker players complaining about bad beats and cold cards. Coming from a BJ background, risk of ruin, bankroll requirements, and the rest is all old hat
end:

Bad beats do have an emotional effect on me. I don't so much go ön tilt"in the classical sense, but I do want "payback". That's one thing I like about internet play. I can remove the temptation by just leaving the game and going elsewhere. Unless there's someone especially productive asset at the table, I'll switch. The lemmings are everywhere