PDA

View Full Version : Cap the flop?

SoCalPat
07-31-2003, 08:36 PM
5-handed $1/$2 game at Paradise.

I'm the CO with A /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and raise after UTG folds. SB calls, BB (decent player) makes it three, and myself and SB (wildly erratic, borderline maniacal) call.

FLOP: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB bets, I call. SB raises (I'm starting to like this hand), BB makes it 3 and I make my entrance on the grand stage and cap it.

SB calls two cold, but BB folds /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Flop and river bring two delicious blanks, and a bet on each street from the SB, who held K /images/graemlins/club.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif, and I pull down the 13.5 BB pot.

However, I think I missed several bets by capping the flop. Afterward, I believe I should have just called two cold on the flop instead of capping it, thereby giving the appearance of chasing. The BB obviously didn't respect what the SB had, given his flop re-raise.

Anyone?

Dynasty
07-31-2003, 09:13 PM
You should have raised the flop when it was one bet to you.

rkiray
07-31-2003, 11:43 PM
I don't play a lot of short handed (except for a few months when I was doing better in one table tournements than ring games) so this may be wrong, but I would definitely cap the flop and I would have raised the first time (especially playing against a maniac). Wow I think that's the longest sentence I've ever written; approaching William Faulkner teritory.

banditbdl
07-31-2003, 11:59 PM
I think you would have been better off raising right away on the flop, you're still gonna get plenty of action (might have gotten capped anyway). The call and then cap screams a monster handm, plus you'll get more money in by raising on the turn.

JTG51
08-01-2003, 12:06 AM
I'd have raised the flop as soon as BB bet into you. Once you decided to call, you should probably just call the 3-bet also. The call the cap move screams nuts on that board.

elysium
08-01-2003, 04:21 AM
hi so cal
yes, you should have only called with that holding and allowed your opponents to bet your hand for you. you then could fire up in the expensive lane. no reason to give your hand away that early. of course, if you weren't positioned so perfectly between two raisers, you would raise yourself; but that's not the case here.

oddjob
08-01-2003, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hi so cal
yes, you should have only called with that holding and allowed your opponents to bet your hand for you. you then could fire up in the expensive lane. no reason to give your hand away that early. of course, if you weren't positioned so perfectly between two raisers, you would raise yourself; but that's not the case here.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you kidding me? how are you to know that the SB is going to check raise? with that board, you should be raising and reraising every chance you get.