PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone REALLY experimented with pump it or dump it?

acer
07-31-2003, 03:43 PM
Has anyone ever played by always raising if it's worth a call? I'm talking ALWAYS doing this in a session. Has anyone done it at least as an experiment? What impact did it have on your session? Your table image? I've got a gut feeling that over the long term it could be profitable. Imagine the free cards you would gain in late position or early (because of the fear of a check/raise from you). The fear people would have of you. I don't play this way, just wondering if anyone had any fun with it and what the results were. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike Gallo
07-31-2003, 04:05 PM
I'm talking ALWAYS doing this in a session

I have never ALWAYS done anything in a session.

Imagine the free cards you would gain in late position or early (because of the fear of a check/raise from you). If the opponents have never seen you use a check raise, why would they fear it?

To quote Bernie, the two worst words in poker are ALWAYS and NEVER.

Michael

Joe Tall
07-31-2003, 04:07 PM
Um, no.

I've got a gut feeling that over the long term it could be profitable.

Um, no.

Imagine the free cards you would gain in late position or early

I imagine that the 1st 3 hands after you did this you would get free cards, after that, you'd be facing 3-bets.

Intesting idea, but sounds like a wildman to me.

acer
07-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Well, I guess there is a reason why I don't play that way. My other conflicting gut feeling is that it is NOT profitable long term. I guess I just get frustrated when I am running badly and the wildman at the table seems to have the tower of chips in front of him/her.

I guess the reason for my original post was so that you guys would talk some sense into me. Thanks. I needed a dose of reality.

TimTimSalabim
07-31-2003, 04:41 PM
In my book, raising should always have a purpose. I raise quite a bit when I play, but every time it has a purpose (I'm trying for a free card, I'm trying to isolate, I'm semi-bluffing, I'm raising for value, etc.). But there are just as many times when it's the right strategy to call.

It might be a helpful experiment for someone who thinks they are overly cautious in their play, but in the long run it makes you just as predictable as someone who only calls. I'm much more afraid of a player who knows how to intelligently mix up his raises and calls, rather than someone who just raises all the time.

Cosimo
07-31-2003, 06:42 PM
Haven't tried it, don't recommend trying it. When you are on a draw, I see no way that raising would be profitable in the long run. Likewise, preflop with speculative hands. For everything else, isn't that just part of being tight and aggressive?

-Cosimo

stripsqueez
07-31-2003, 10:23 PM
i agree with most of the responses you have recieved but the idea of only raising or folding is a good one

i try and identify things to work on long term and recently the topic was "calling the turn"...in short i thought i called the turn too often and that i should as a matter of best style be folding or raising

one common example is when you have a small piece of the hand, like bottom or middle pair and the pre-flop raiser bets the flop and turn and you are heads up...if you decide that you are not going to fold and barring a terrible river you are going to call the river it is generally best to raise rather than call the turn...of-course there are a bunch of variables most notably posistion, and you shouldnt adopt the same tactic every time but i think that raise or fold should be the mantra of a player who wants to develop an aggressive image

i should add the disclaimer that i play short-handed almost exclusively where cultivation of such an image and use of such a tactic is likely more effective

JTG51
08-01-2003, 01:00 AM
There's one big problem with this idea that I don't think anyone mentioned below.

What are you doing to do when you are heads up with the second nuts on the river? Are you just going to 59 bet and go broke when you have quads and your opponent has a straight flush, or will you fold to his 19th raise?

Sal Allegra
08-01-2003, 05:36 AM
Yeah, I've Tryed it and I don't think it works good, I think it's a quick way to go broke... no trapping, no overcalls, no saving that single bet on the end, what lose fish is going to fold that extra bet on the end? How much cash you piss away when the aggression isn't warra /images/graemlins/cool.gifnted is too much.