PDA

View Full Version : SB hand

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-31-2003, 03:26 PM
Foxwoods 5/10 kill=$100. Not a kill pot. Pretty passive table. I'm in the SB with K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif

MP (tricky regular) limps, Button (newbie) limps, I complete, BB checks.

Flop: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, BB folds, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, MP checks, button hesitates and bets, I raise, MP folds, Button calls.

River: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, he bets, I call.

results later.

JTG51
07-31-2003, 03:31 PM
This'll sound funny since everyone just told you below that you play too tight in the SB, but I'd fold preflop.

I'd also bet the turn, and if I wasn't raised bet the river.

Joe Tall
07-31-2003, 03:39 PM
I know I just posted that I compete any two suited but a bare K is boarderline for me.

Flop: automatic

Turn: Well your check raise did clear the field, but I'm not sure what your read on the Button is? Is he a 'autobet when check to' type? If he is, I like the play.

River: check/call? I think you are beat, the button may have turned two pair w/J8. Did you think he had the straight? I see you stated he's a newbie so maybe he limped w/96s...the passivity of newbie's make this an easy laydown, I feel, they love to bet out when they have a good piece of the board. I've also seen AA played like this from this type of player.

It'll be interesting to see how it turned out,
Joe Tall

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-31-2003, 03:44 PM
This is why I'm trying to get my head around SB play. My feeling here was, with only 2 limpers to me, K8o might easily be the best hand.

The reason I don't bet out on the turn is I think MP will try to put a play on me here. I expected him to bet (I wanted to checkraise *him*), but the bet came from the wrong guy. When MP folds and the newbie calls, I start thinking that I'm walking into my own trap.

CrackerZack
07-31-2003, 03:45 PM
This hand confuses me.

PF I fold. I bet the flop and turn and if the turn isn't raised, the river. Why C/R the turn? Do you think you can get him to laydown a J there or on the river?

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-31-2003, 04:14 PM
The more I think about this hand, the less idea I have about what I was thinking the newbie could have. This was one of a couple of hands a couple of weeks back that prompted me to rethink how I was playing and seriously tighten up my play.

Oh, yeah. The button showed A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and outkicked me for the pot.

Homer
07-31-2003, 07:53 PM
Preflop - I'd fold, maybe I'm a wuss.

Turn - I'd keep betting. I'm curious as to why you decided to checkraise.

River - I'd have bet figuring that he'll call with a hell of a lot more hands than he'll bet himself. Now, if he's some crazy Phil Hellmuth worshiping newbie, then I can understand checking to induce a bluff.

-- Homer

Ed Miller
08-01-2003, 05:15 AM
I don't get you, dude. You muck 96s in the SB, but then you complete a 2/5 SB with K8o?

As for the hand... I don't get it. Why didn't you bet the river?

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-01-2003, 08:29 AM
To you and everybody else who has answered this post - I can't rationally answer the not betting the river question. I posted this hand after stewing over it for 2 weeks because I truly thought from start to finish I played this hand about as badly as possible. This hand, and another with an ill-conceived turn checkraise, compelled me to do some serious review on how I was playing. So far, my adjustments seem to have improved my game, but it's way too soon to judge.