PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan

07-02-2002, 10:21 PM
well, i must admit that my musical education (im self taught BTW) has taken some twists and turns that may have strayed off the beaten path a bit. but in the last few years i've been listening to more blues (due mostly to a friend who is also on the blus kick and he buys all the albums). anyways, i've always been quite ashamed at my personal lack of Bob Dylan experience. i have heard very little of his expansive catalog, and have always had it on my list of musical to do items. recently, i borrowed his first, self-titled album. man oh man is it good!!!!! just so raw, and pure, and young, and energetic, and full of life and spirit. i dig it a lot. if you've never heard it before, pick it up. its definitely worth a listen. its all cover songs, but he really gives them his distinctive voice (as anyone who knows anything about him will attest to). can anyone reccommend any of his other albums? i'd love to have the whole library, but i ain't that rich. where should i look next?

07-02-2002, 10:41 PM
Two of my favorites are:

The Times They Are A-Changin' 1963

my favorite song is Boots of Spanish Leather

Blood on the Tracks 1975

Biograph might be an option to span his career, but you would miss a lot.

D.

07-03-2002, 12:05 AM
I'll suggest Highway 66 revisted but I assume you have that.

A few older blue's artist that you may like to buy or find interesting (if you do not already have them)- Sam Lightin' Hopkins, Mississippi John Hurt, Hound Dog Taylor, Peppermint Harris, Otis rush, Big Joe Williams, and Louis Jordan (A Jazz/Blues artist and the founding father of rock n roll!!).

For wild stuff try Screaming Jay Hawkins and for the opposite try the smooth blues and voice of Bobby Bland. Happy shopping.

-zeno

07-03-2002, 04:18 AM
i don't have any of his stuff but his first album, actually, so Highway 66 will be near the top of the list. thanks for the heads-up on the other blues artists as well. i've been really diggin Robert Johnson (im a big Led Zeppelin fan, which is where the interest in the roots/blues of the music came from originally), Nappy Roots (a contemporary band with very much blues...), and R.L. Burnside. been sampling a bit of the Fat Possum Records crew. i was priveleged to see r.l. in january, and am thinking of a trip in Aug. to see him in winnipeg at a blus fest there. he is dope.

07-03-2002, 04:19 AM
they'll be on my list.

07-03-2002, 08:10 AM
i want you. iwant you, i want you , i want you soooobaaaaad, gotta ketch that one...gl

07-03-2002, 12:50 PM
Blonde on Blonde is a must listen. His newest album, which I have not heard, but have been told by many, is one of his best in years. Unfortunatley I cant remember the title.

07-03-2002, 01:33 PM

07-03-2002, 01:55 PM
Everything Dylan did before his motorcycle accident is worth owning.

1. Bob Dylan

2. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

3. Another Side Of Bob Dylan (although, this is my least favorite of the bunch)

4. Highway 61 Revisited

5. Blonde On Blonde

6. Bringin' It All Back Home

7. The Times They Are A-Changin'

As David already said, Blood On The Tracks is excellent. "Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts" alone is worth the price of the CD.

07-03-2002, 03:49 PM
I agree, and was narrowing down to just a few.

I am also not big on the latest releases that seem to get so many awards. It is not just some historical bias thing with me either, as there are some new artists and material that I like a lot.

D.

07-05-2002, 09:40 PM
I do not have his whole collection but love just about every album he has put out. There is a huge selection but if I had a choice of only a couple to take with me they would be:

1. Desire

2.Blood On The Tracks

3.Freewheelin' Bob Dylan

Glad to have you in the fold as a fan!!!!

Swiss Cheese