PDA

View Full Version : poker or chess

ccwhoelse?
07-30-2003, 11:36 PM
what do you think is a more mentally challenging game. if not all types of poker, maybe one type like hold'em and how it stacks up against chess. even tho that games are of two different natures.

Dynasty
07-31-2003, 11:17 AM
Chess and I don't think it's close.

David Steele
07-31-2003, 11:33 AM

Dr Wogga
07-31-2003, 11:57 AM
....by a landslide

nicky g
07-31-2003, 12:06 PM
Also agree. I'm just getting into chess, I'm not sure if I have the patience (or intelligence) for it, though on the other hand I'd imagine it's a lot less hard on the nerves than poker. Poker will give me an ulcer one of these days; love it though I do, I find it incredibly stressful at times. Perhaps I should read the Zen and Poker book.
What other games do people here play? My wife bought me a backgammon set for Christmas, it's a great game. A friend is also trying to get me into go though we've still not sat down to play. I also am vaguely tempted to learn bridge though I don't like the partnership aspect of it. Which game to people think has more to it, poker or backgammon?

Dynasty
07-31-2003, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...on the other hand I'd imagine it's a lot less hard on the nerves than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you haven't been in time pressure during an important tournament chess game.

Chess doesn't require intelligence. That's a myth. While at the Boylston Chess Club in Boston, I played with a wide range of people from lawyers to homeless people. Their intelligence varied greatly but they were at approximately the same skill level.

David Steele
07-31-2003, 01:49 PM
Tournament chess can be very stressful, casual fast chess is pretty relaxing and you don't have to be as patient as in poker since you get to play every other move.

Many poker players would find Bridge to be quite good I think. There seems to be similar skills at reading hands involved. Bridge has a high initial learning curve to get over the arbitrary seeming rules and scoring.

Games I play ( or have played in the past) and rate for having a fair amount of richness:

1. Chess
2. Bridge
3. Poker
4. Backgammon
5. Hearts

People are always claiming Go is up there, but
I have yet to see a convincing article or problem
position comparable to say the best chess problems or games,
however I also have very limited experience with the game.
I would think it would rate at least 2 or 3 nevertheless.

D.

Cyrus
08-01-2003, 07:05 AM
"Chess doesn't require intelligence. That's a myth."

That's right. I keep saying that! But then I get into a milion-post argument with MMMM who challenges me to name idiot savant chess masters!

"A lot less hard on the nerves than poker? I guess you haven't been in time pressure during an important tournament chess game."

Yep. And that goes for non-tournament play, as well, but not to that degree.

Here's what the eminent GM Ljubojevic thinks about the happiness that Caissa brings to her disciples. He is on record as saying that he often wins but is not happy, he is not content with the way he played. His wife cannot understand his moods. And when he loses it's of course worse. His wife has asked him just WHEN he is happy and Ljubo replied that Chess is a few rare moments of satisfaction in a life full of grief.

I wonder, do poker players get more satisfaction and happiness out of their games than chess players get from theirs ?

brad
08-01-2003, 07:20 AM
backgammon is more fun u can even beat computer occasionally . chess good luck unless youre gm

brad
08-01-2003, 07:31 AM
plus women play b.g. fun2 beat them heh