PDA

View Full Version : White Stripes

Dominic
12-31-2005, 03:27 PM
am I the only one who thinks this is much ado about nothing?

They kinda blow.

jba
12-31-2005, 03:31 PM
you're definitely not the only one.

bisonbison
12-31-2005, 03:33 PM
I like em.

TheMainEvent
12-31-2005, 03:34 PM
No offense Dom, but where are we supposed to go with this? Some people like them, some don't. What else is there to say?

Dominic
12-31-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No offense Dom, but where are we supposed to go with this? Some people like them, some don't. What else is there to say?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...it's just that they seem to be everyone's Second Coming, you know? After the first album or two came out, Rolling Stone and Spin were naming Jack White one of the best guitar players of all time. I mean, come on.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't horrible by any means, and I like a few of their songs, but the rest of the albums just sound like filler to me.

And since I had yet to hear someone dis them, I was just wondering if I was the only one who didn't think they were awesome.

citanul
12-31-2005, 03:41 PM
i don't think that jack white's guitar playing is actually all that impressive, but i do like their music.

c

Quinn Warren
12-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Listen to De Stijl.

bisonbison
12-31-2005, 03:44 PM
You like something (an album, a movie, a tv show)? Good.

Insofar as an article might point you to more things you might like, great. Insofar as those magazines and the endless substrata of hipper-than-thou magazines that swim in their ever-more-irrelevant wake do anything else, who cares?

surfinillini
12-31-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think that jack white's guitar playing is actually all that impressive, but i do like their music.

c

[/ QUOTE ]

i have to agree with you on this one, he is no studio professional, he can't play clean riffs worth [censored]

TheMainEvent
12-31-2005, 03:45 PM
At the time the music press was trying to push garage rock as some kind of revolutionary thing, and most of the other bands they threw in that category were [censored], so they stood out i guess. FWIW, I like them, but I think they get more credit for their image than anything sometimes.

fluxrad
12-31-2005, 03:51 PM
I think Jack White is a great songwriter. Stuff like "Dorbell" is really catchy and surprisingly original.

That said, I'm with you. I've got two problems with the band that I can't get past:

1. Meg White is a terrible drummer. If you're going to form a gimmick band based off a power-duo, you'd better have a good guitarist and a great drummer. Case in point: I can't stand Local-H, but the drummer is pretty good as I recall.

2. The getups they wear are just retarded and distract from the music. I can't stand bands that play dress-up because they think it's entertaining (part of the reason crap like Marylin Manson annoys me so much). Obviously Beck is excluded from this requirement.

spamuell
12-31-2005, 03:55 PM
I can't stand bands that play dress-up because they think it's entertaining

Why? It is entertaining.

KneeCo
12-31-2005, 04:01 PM
The fact that Meg White can't hold a tune is deliberate IMO, it really is the Jack White show.

I love their music, tongue in cheek interviews, cool videos and constant references to the man in my avatar.

captZEEbo1
12-31-2005, 04:22 PM
everyone saying jack white isn't a good guitarist likely has just heard a few of their big (simple) hits. He's a great guitarist and seeing him live will show you his soloing abilities.

gorie
12-31-2005, 04:40 PM
the white stripes are the best.
although the last album was very disappointing... i just hope they decide to stop being weird now since get behind me satan, and go back in the direction of awesomeness of the s/t and de stijl.

i can understand how someone wouldn't like them though. not everyone is into good music. /images/graemlins/smile.gif i was very excited when i heard they started being all mainstream and on mtv and stuff, because i they deserve to be known. it was kinda cool. i was like "woah, people actually like music i listen to, that is weird!" because usually people hate anything i like. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i'm glad they have helped make garage rock'n'roll more popular too. i wish more people liked the same music as me.

uw_madtown
12-31-2005, 05:16 PM
White Blood Cells is pretty much [censored] amazing.

chuddo
12-31-2005, 05:34 PM
it took until the 5th post in this thread for me to realize it was about 'the white stripes' and not crest 'white strips'.

that said i am a fan of the white stripes, but they would get blown out of the room by death from above 1979.

asofel
12-31-2005, 05:36 PM
gorie,

do you like the black keys?

inquisitively,
asofel

ilya
12-31-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
am I the only one who thinks this is much ado about nothing?

They kinda blow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww come on, insufferable white hacks ripping off black music is a great American tradition!

But seriously he's a good guitari blah blah blah brilliant songwri blah blah blah who cares their songs suck. Except for 3 or 4 off the earlier albums. GBMS has zero good songs.

Roybert
12-31-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everyone saying jack white isn't a good guitarist likely has just heard a few of their big (simple) hits. He's a great guitarist and seeing him live will show you his soloing abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are weird live, though. They run so hot and cold it really depends on what night you see them. I've seen them give some really great shows and I've also seen some shows where they were obviously phoning it in.

Ulysses
12-31-2005, 07:29 PM
Dom,

I love the White Stripes. I've seen them live twice. The first show (Fillmore or Warfield) was one of the best live shows I've ever seen, just an insanely intense performance. The second show (Greek) was really weak, couldn't believe it.

Edited to add: Roybert, just read your post. Yes, 100% agree. It's just crazy.