PDA

View Full Version : Amazon reviews for Jones' book.

Yambola
07-30-2003, 01:57 PM
I have just started reading WLLH by Jones, and I was perusing through the Amazon reviews for the book when I noticed something. Of the reviewers that gave the book an awful review (only 3 or 4), 2 of those claimed that this book does not apply to online play at all. Some even claimed to have played worse online after reading this book. Since I will be playing the vast majority of the time online, have you guys noticed that the book does not apply to online or is it good for live and online?

HUSKER'66
07-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Ignore the critics. You said that you have the book and have started reading....have you used any of the stratagies that Jones mentions? Everybody is entitled to their opinions (they are kinda like elbows/a$$holes-everybody has 'em /images/graemlins/smirk.gif)but I'm too ignorant/stubborn to listen to a strangers review/critique of a book/movie.... especially if it is negative /images/graemlins/frown.gifHaving said that IMHO you have purchased an excellent guide to winning poker at the lower limits....whether your playing at the local B&M or online. Other than the speed of play and maybe the lower rake, online poker is............. POKER! Read the book cover to cover, than reread it again /images/graemlins/cool.gifIf you follow the general stratagies, you will win many, many times what the book cost you. Good luck and see you at the tables!

rkiray
07-30-2003, 03:22 PM
I haven't looked at Jone's book in two or three years, so I can't comment on it directly. I will that on-line poker generally plays tougher than an equilant B&M game. That changed for about 3 months recently, but it seems to me that the games are toughening up again (and several others have posted similar thoughts). So say 2/4 on Paradise plays much more like a 10/20 B&M game than a 3/6. So Jones book is probably more applicable to the microlimit games.

jasonHoldEm
07-31-2003, 12:12 AM
My guess would be that the critics of the book (saying it doesn't apply to online play) are trying to use the strategies at the "higher" low limits online (ex 4/8 or 5/10). It is my understanding (although admittedly I've only played up to 2/4) that these higher low limit games online are tougher than live games at the same limit, therefore they play similar to middle limit games in real life. I'm not sure exactly what the equvialent would be, but I've heard it said that 5/10 online plays like 10/20 or even 15/30 in real life (so something like HEPFAP would be more applicable advice)...since I've never played B&M poker feel free to take this into account, would be interested to hear what the others (who have expereince at the levels involved) have to say.

IMHO, WLLHE is the nuts at helping you become a winning player, and can say from personal expereince that the strategies contained therein have helped me consistently win at limits up to 2/4.

Hope that makes sense.

jHE

JohnShaft
07-31-2003, 12:19 AM
I'm completely with Jason on this one. WLLHE isn't just good for microlimits. In fact imo it's best suited to something like 2/4 3/6 online as it does advocate a tight aggressive game. If you aren't already a solid online low limiter, if you follow Lee's advice, you will be.

I've introduced a friend of mine to poker online, and of my dozen plus books there was only one book I was going to give him to teach him to survive (and beat) the low limits.

This one.

Clarkmeister
07-31-2003, 01:44 AM
In my experience, online games play at roughly 2.5x their limit in equivalent B&M play. e.g. 2-4 on average plays at about a 5-10 live game level. 5-10 is somewhere between 10-20 and 15-30, probabaly a shade closer to the former.