PDA

View Full Version : A bad player that wins every time? Please read!

nykenny
07-30-2003, 01:56 PM
OK guys,

I have been running hot. I have won in my last 20 sessions playing mostly 10-20 hold'em. Most of the people in the clubs I go to (NYC) perceive me as loose aggressive - the bad player (:D). They love to pay me off all the way to river with 2nd or 3rd pair or just Ace high some times. Some times they will try to bluff me on the river when I check my King high or Queen high hand with their busted baby straight draws or flushing draws. I would then bust them by calling and say "I am a calling station, and you can not bluff me out!".

Excuse my boring post. But I just have to share my personal record streak here /images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

My questions: Is there anyone else that beats the game they play but perceived as one of the worst (or most action) players? And does anyone want to share what your longest winning streak is?

Kenny

Now I know for sure that I AM LUCKY /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ed Miller
07-30-2003, 05:27 PM
I think it's amusing the different images I get with different people. Some people seem to think I'm a super rock, and they complain how I never play any hands and wait for the nuts. Then, at the same table after watching me play the same set of hands, some people claim that I never have anything and that I'm always bluffing off my stack. We were shorthanded for a while last night, and I think that my shorthanded-adjusted play stuck in a couple of people's minds for the rest of the night, as they seemed to think I was a mega-LAG last night.

It turned out that I finished the night up almost two racks in my 10-20 game, and I kept thinking, "I must have something sometimes to win 45 bets..."

vkotlyar
07-30-2003, 05:57 PM
You suck. you are just hot. LOL. Sorry kenny, had to do it. As for your play, its not as bad as u think it is. SUre, u tilt like there is no tomorrow, and some of your preflop decisions are a bit surprising, but so many players enter each pot that almost anything is +EV. You are by far the best post flop player that i have ever played with. ( Why do u think i dont bet u post flop /images/graemlins/smile.gif ). You win huge pots because no one gives you a hand ( and after yesturday, no one is ever going to give me a hand either) and you value bet everything! So keep doing whatever u r doin, u LAG maniac tilter!
vitaly

nykenny
07-30-2003, 06:04 PM
haha good job /images/graemlins/smile.gif) it's funny how semi-observant people are!

nykenny
07-30-2003, 06:09 PM
thanks, Vitaly. but please don't spend too much to advertise. afterall, the goal of advertising is to bring in more profit than the expense /images/graemlins/wink.gif

you being the only other 2+2er in my games sure hurt my bottom line. but what you don't know is i play better when u sit behind me, cause i don't want to make your pots too big for you /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

WhatsEmo
07-30-2003, 06:25 PM
...are you sure there's only one 2+2er in your game @ the playstation, kenny?

M2d
07-31-2003, 01:59 AM
I also like how people will not give up a read on a player's abilities. It could have been two years since they've last seen me, but if I raised it up against them with rags once, I'm a LAG. If I called them down with a draw and got there, I'm calling station. If I was in a really bad run of cards, and it was a fold-fest, I'm a rock.
The other day, I heard two players discussing hands (with each other) that I was the primary opponent (they didn't see me). One was raving about the loose-ass maniac who outdrew him (he didn't see the gutshot/overcards to go with the runner-runner flush that got there). The other was complaining about the rock who hadn't played a hand all month, then decided to take aces up against his queens. They had no clue that they were talking about the same guy or that he was lurking around the corner.

JTG51
07-31-2003, 02:08 AM
I had a high school teacher that always used to say, "Perception is reality."

He couldn't have been more right. Many people are simply going to believe what they want to believe, often times despite the evidence.

elysium
07-31-2003, 05:01 AM
hi kenny
i've only been playing for about two years and against the big boys i have a tough time of it, but they don't consider me a fish. oh,....ok. in some areas like being totally bluffed, i'm not in sync just yet. a strong opponent in a 10-20 game or no limit game can still successfully bluff me. and in the higher limits i do come in weaker than i should while on a rush. i'm still learning the ropes at the pro level. and oh yes, i do make tough calls often enough to make me an undesirable target in the higher games.

in the low limit spread games, when i hit the 24 hour mark or so, i just seem to get stronger and there aren't many players that can beat me in these type games. whatever it is, i steam-roll over the table and become the only force at the table to recon with. when i bet, the reaction to my bet tells me everything i need to know. i try to induce a shell shock effect with crushing wins with powerhouse hands. when i bet the next time, the reaction tells me everything. and these runs go on for 48 hrs or until i'm so fatigued that i cannot comprehend the board. then i quit and hit it for another 48.

even in the low limit, your greatest opponent becomes the grumbling and hostility of the players who usually dominate the room. there's a clique that'll hate you, and hate evolves into some pretty sinister doings around the ol card-room you're rushing in. nothing is written about it anywhere, but some fairly sophisticated psyche warfare at a pretty sinister level can break out. and threats too. right in the card-room. in no time you realize that you are taking their money, and they don't like it. i've bet out strongly and folded a full table 7 times in a row. but remember something that no one else will dare tell you ny; the regular hotshots don't like it and they can become an ugly-ish gang. there's always ugly-ish gang stuff going on in an elysium game. yes, that's a nice hefty space chip triangle, with four towering red chip fuel-cells on each side, that i've been constructing, but i'm also surrounded by angry mob. if there's a military base near-by and you empty the major's pockets, your soon looking at four angry cadettes sent over to get even. this is what steam-rolling will do. and i don't think i'm the only 2+2 er that's getting threatened out there. i mean yea, they out and out threaten you. so, it think that once we find our groove, we need to address the hostility that is sure to come. and don't tell me that you didn't get the angry mob a little riled up with your big winning streak ny. whew, i'll bet you did it right there in n.y.; how do fend them off?

lysis
07-31-2003, 06:55 AM
Seriously Kenny. There are lot's of us out here that can discuss the finer strategic implications of having Alphonse sit in your game.

lysis

nykenny
07-31-2003, 10:48 AM
I love your reply Elysium. To answer your last question, it is actually much different from what you'd expect to here :P.

I should do many jealous faces every time i leave the card room with winnings. However, I am also very nice to everyone. it's very hard for anyone to dislike me in the card room. i do crack jokes and clown at the table too. purpose: liven up the game and lower their guard /images/graemlins/blush.gif

also i like to be friendly with ppl anyway. that doesn't mean i will soft play everyone i like. quite frankly i rarely give anyone a break on the poker table. and the people i do soft play sometimes, my bro and vitaly, are both 2+2ers anyways, i don't think i am losing much edge there haha.

Well, NYC is sure a little poker paradise /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nykenny
07-31-2003, 10:51 AM
Of course not. But i am not talking about playstation game /images/graemlins/grin.gif. oh by the way, do i know you? /images/graemlins/wink.gif