PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Dining-Top Restaurants

Abagadro
07-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Heading down next week-end.

Wondering if any of the regulars can give me a good place for a top-o-the-line dinner. I've eaten down there at Aqua, Piccaso, 3950, & Andres (as well a many I would consider a tier or two down from those). Looking for recommendations on similar types of places that you have found particularly good. Seafood, steaks, Italian, continental, fusion all fair game.

Much appreciated.

JimRivett
07-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Some of the locals I know and a lot of people who visit Vegas on regular basis claim that the best (for price, quality and ambiance) steak house on the strip is at ------------ Circus Circus. Yes I know, I didn't believe them at first until I ate there, now I agree with them.

Regards, Jim

HDPM
07-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Try Delmonico's for steak. It always gets recommended here. For good reason.

cferejohn
07-30-2003, 03:06 PM
Aqua is the best one I have eaten at (never eaten at Picasso though, which I hear is excellent). I put it in the top 5 meals I've ever eaten.

Others if you are curious (no others in Las Vegas):

French Laundry in Yountville (Napa Valley)
Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton in San Francisco
The Fifth Floor in San Francisco
Auberge de Soliel in Napa Valley

Hon. Mention: Chez Pannise in Berkeley

Mash
07-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Agreed, I have dined there and the food and service were terrific. I recommend eating there at least once.

HeartsKing
07-30-2003, 06:23 PM
I'll put in a third recommendation for Delmonico's. I've haven't been to the other places you've mentioned so I can't compare, but I went to Delmonico's recently and really enjoyed the entire experience.

If you're planning on going on a Friday or Saturday night I'd recommend making reservation ASAP. I tried to make reservations for Thursday earlier in the day and they were all booked up. Called back later that day to try for Friday and was able to get a 10:30pm reservation (I believe that's their last seating). The fights that weekend at the Orleans might have been a factor though.

I had the bone-in rib steak, which was excellent. The baked potato was really well done. Yes, I know, it's just a potato, but it wasn't mushy like a lot of them can be; nice texture and flavor for a potato. Side of green beans were very nice too; not over steamed, still firm with a bit of snap. Creamed spinanch was pretty good; I'm just not a big fan of it, in general; my brother ordered it. BTW, sides are big enough to share (get your own potato, though). The shrimpcocktail was very tasty but a bit on the small side, but I'd rather that than the super big shrimp with less flavor. Glass of very good Cabernet from the Napa valley to compliment the steak; probably the best Cab. I've had, but I'm not a wine expert; I do enjoy my wine though.

The Binion's Ranch Steakhouse also does a good steak. The Top of the World revolving restaurant at the Statosphere has a nice view and very good food, but probably a half-a-notch below some of the places you've mentioned.

Uston
07-30-2003, 06:43 PM
If you're at Bellagio and in the mood for excellent seafood, Sam's Snacks makes a tuna sandwich that is exquisite.

rkiray
07-30-2003, 09:39 PM
I don't like steak houses all that much and I've only dined at five of the really nice restaurants in Vegas. But the one I liked the best was the Effiel Tower restaurant in Paris. The food and views were excellent. I didn't like the service though. We had to take an early seating ( I believe it was 6 PM on a Monday evening) because we waited until that afternoon to call for reservations. When we got there the place was empty and we had like four different people standing around the table participating in our conversation like they were our best friends. 45 minutes later the place was packed and we had trouble getting service. All in all quite annoying.

slamdunkpro
07-31-2003, 09:50 AM
Did'nt find Delmonico's all that.....Not really better than the major steak chains (Mortons, Ruth's Chris). In fact I thought the were sub par on the service and sides. My potato arrived way after my steak, then is was another 5 min. before the potato dressings showed up. My table mate's sides were ice cold.

If you want meat - we enjoy Lawry's (Prime rib only).

I think the two "best kept secret" steak houses are Circus Circus and Binions.

Tyler Durden
07-31-2003, 10:57 AM
The food was excellent at Commander's Palace, which is in the Aladdin I believe.

Philuva
07-31-2003, 02:22 PM
My wife and I love food (she is a chef). We lived in NYC for 5 years and have been to Union Square Cafe, Grammercy Tavern, Nobu, Tabla, Babbo, etc. I thought Picasso was definitely in the same league as those places.

My other Vegas dining experiences have been good, but nowhere near Picasso.

I would go back there. The next best I have had in Vegas was actually Olives, which for the money was very good.

PokerBabe(aka)
07-31-2003, 09:55 PM
Babe's fav steak and lobster is at the Palm in Caesar's forum. I also think that one of the pretties restaurants in town is Prime @ Bellagio. It's gorgeous. I am a huge fan of Aqua and have never had a bad meal there.

I would also recommend Drai's at the Barbary Coast and 808 at Caesars.

LGPGEG, Babe. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

PokerBabe(aka)
07-31-2003, 09:55 PM

Stew
08-01-2003, 12:43 AM
Teh Circus Circus Steakhouse is awesome. If you like Italian, there is a restaurant behind Flamingo called Batista's (sp) that I enjoy.

Lottery Larry
08-01-2003, 09:19 AM
Having just returned from Las Vegas, here are the recommendations of my wife and myself-

inexpensive dinner buffet- Golden Nugget
Italian- Lombardo's in Aladdin
Chinese fusion?- Chin-Chin in New York New York
Mexican fusion?- Border Grill in Mandalay Bay
the dinner buffet in Mandalay Bay had posted good reviews but was too crowded to get into at dinner. that is how we ended up at Border Grill

Philuva
08-01-2003, 12:11 PM
I have been there twice and had great meals both times. Also got window seats for the water show both times with good service.