PDA

View Full Version : Fold AK to re-raise?

45suited
12-31-2005, 03:53 AM
Early in a 22. No reads.

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com (http://www.pregopoker.com/hhconv/convert)

UTG (t785)
UTG+1 (t695)
MP1 (t1345)
MP2 (t800)
Hero (t775)
CO+1 (t910)
CO (t130)
Button (t1025)
SB (t785)
BB (t750)

Preflop: Hero is in MP3 with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t15, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises t60</font>, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises t190</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>

12-31-2005, 03:56 AM
I'd call and play it with position.

caretaker1
12-31-2005, 03:59 AM
Fold. Unless you have an unusual read that the SB is uber-aggressive. This kind of smallish (2-3X) re-raise means monster way too often to tangle. I don't like a flat call for 25% of the stack either.

spikeanut
12-31-2005, 04:00 AM
Easy fold IMO. You only risked 60 chips so far, why risk the rest for a coinflip in a worstcase senario.

stanzee
12-31-2005, 04:05 AM
play it with position??? position doesn't count for a lot since the SB is almost certain to bet the flop (unless of course he catches a monster hand on the flop). I normally fold to this bet, but since the play has been soooo bad over the xmas period i put him on AT AJ AQ suited and push.

stanzee
12-31-2005, 04:13 AM
You've put in a lot of posts.... therefore, i'm guessing you've played a lot of poker... is this hand really causing you problems? I'll give you a hint on how you can play it next time, taking into account party's 1 table tourney structure and the level you're playing... think about it.... how can you have avoid getting yourself into this situation in the first place? answers on a post card

12-31-2005, 04:13 AM
I disagree that a $22 player in the SB always bets out on any flop in this specific situation. You are getting better than 2:1 on a call here, you have position, and you still have 585 chips to work with if you bail for whatever reason on the flop.

AA-TT is certainly in his range, but I have seen AK-ATs in the range here as well (especially AQs).

stanzee
12-31-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree that a $22 player in the SB always bets out on any flop in this specific situation. You are getting better than 2:1 on a call here, you have position, and you still have 585 chips to work with if you bail for whatever reason on the flop.

AA-TT is certainly in his range, but I have seen AK-ATs in the range here as well (especially AQs).

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like chucking in 25% of your chips with a strong likelyhood you will be forced to fold on the flop then so be it. Me personally? I either commit all my chips now or i fold.

The Yugoslavian
12-31-2005, 04:20 AM
How the F do I agree with Stanzee here? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Okay, well what I agree on is that you have to push/raise committed amount or fold....you can't call preflop here.

I fold....but I guess it's b/c I never get my AK to run into AQ-AT preflop even at xmas, /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Yugoslav

45suited
12-31-2005, 04:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You've put in a lot of posts.... therefore, i'm guessing you've played a lot of poker... is this hand really causing you problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... all I did was post a hand that I thought could be of interest.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll give you a hint on how you can play it next time, taking into account party's 1 table tourney structure and the level you're playing... think about it.... how can you have avoid getting yourself into this situation in the first place? answers on a post card

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I'm confident that my results match up with anybody else playing 800 chip games. If you want to respond to a thread, fine. I don't need the condescending attitude.

You know where you can put your post card.

12-31-2005, 04:25 AM
You likely have zero FE so how is pushing better than calling?

12-31-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like chucking in 25% of your chips with a strong likelyhood you will be forced to fold on the flop then so be it. Me personally? I either commit all my chips now or i fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

It only costs me 18% of my remaining chips. Geesh.

Snarf
12-31-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to respond to a thread, fine. I don't need the condescending attitude.

You know where you can put your post card.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

...and I probably fold...

early in tourneys I usually - sometimes incorrectly - give the villian in these situations credit for a good pair.

I'm fairly certain all that guy is doing by standard pushing AK there is raising his varaince. (been there, done that)

12-31-2005, 05:12 AM
I fold this every time. AK is not a hand you want to gamble with early in a tournament. Just lay it down and move on.

Scuba Chuck
12-31-2005, 05:13 AM
When did we start letting this guy tie his shoe laces again?

curtains
12-31-2005, 05:16 AM
I would play it the same way. (except raise to 65 instead of 60, which is obviously not a big deal)

12-31-2005, 05:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold this every time. AK is not a hand you want to gamble with early in a tournament. Just lay it down and move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

with no reads, how big of a reraise would you call?

Dr_Jeckyl_00
12-31-2005, 09:51 AM
Well I was in this situation several times yesterday (and posted all of them!) Moving all in w/ AK and losing sucks (which is what I did), folding and losing t60 is a lot less painful. And frankly, I think I lost more w/ AK when I pushed then I won when I hit. So as usual... your fold seems correct... and I hope to fold myself next time /images/graemlins/wink.gif