PDA

View Full Version : WPT Finances

Spartacus
07-30-2003, 10:55 AM
It's obvious to everyone here that the WPT season far outshined ESPN WSOP 2003 shows thus far. Although we all poked fun at Vince Van Patten all season, it is ironic that that so many, myself included, are longing for his commentary during ESPN's broadcast.
I am wondering how WPT did financially for their inaugural season. As viewers and poker players, we can all criticize and point out how WPT can make improvements for next season but the bottom line is whether WPT can make a profit. Anyone know any numbers as far a budget or production costs for it's first season?
I am sorry to say that we will be stuck with mediocre broadcasts by the sports giant ESPN unless WPT shows some green. Comments?

cferejohn
07-30-2003, 03:15 PM
I don't know that I am longing for Vince van Patten's commentary inasmuch as I just appreciate that he actually plays poker, however badly, as opposed to the yahoos on ESPN.

I do know that the WPT did much better than the Travel channel expected and that it was the leading show on the network, I believe by a pretty decent margin. I have to imagine this means that it made some money. PokerStars has joined PartyPoker in advertising there, and it seems inevitable that more online sites will do so, and I have to imagine they would be willing to spend a pretty decent amount of money on such specifically targeted advertising.

Given its popularity, I'm guessing it will get moved off of the Travel Channel (not next year, but sometime in the next 3 or 4). Too many people don't have it, and larger cable outlets will see it as a good opportunity. ESPN is a possibility (hopefully they would agree to let the same people keep running it), and I would think FX or even one of the smaller networks (WB/UPN) might be interested if popularity continues to grow.

punkass
07-30-2003, 03:21 PM
The possibility that these shows makes it on network (yes, UPN and WB count) TV would be unchartered territory. The influx of newcomers would be astronomical, IMO. I would definitely rather watch the WPT on WB than "Who wants to ______ a millionaire" (enter your own verb) on Fox any day.

thomastem
07-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Not knowing any numbers but hearing that WPT was it's #1 show for the season I'd be willing to bet they made money. Does anyone believe they paid more for shows with lower ratings but have been on for years?

Though I believe it made profit last season even if it didn't it will continue. Why? Because higher than expected ratings this year means they can charge advertisers more for time slots. They know they will make a profit next year.

If this is untrue, and Travel Channel is stupid enough to invest in a show that even when it exceeds viewership above all other shows on their network, then I'll take the bad beat on that bet. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

TimTimSalabim
07-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Yes, WPT is the #1 rated show on the Travel Channel. However, as a cautionary note, Farscape was for a long time the highest rated show on SciFi channel, yet they eventually cancelled it because it was so costly to produce.

Still, it can't cost that much to produce a poker show can it?

Dynasty
07-30-2003, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Still, it can't cost that much to produce a poker show can it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It obviously has substantial travel expenses. It's very costly to move a TV crew to such distant locations around the world. Beyond travel expenses, the show is probably reasonable to produce.

Huh
07-31-2003, 12:29 PM
Yeah, but have you seen some of the other crap they are hauling camera crews around the world for. Like "world's best toilets", the hour long show about the best places to take a leak around the world. It seems like that show has an order of magnitude more travel expenses, and can't get as much viewership(although I was on the edge of my seat.)

-Huh

Aces McGee
07-31-2003, 01:50 PM
They could put it on FOX and call it "Who Wants To River a Millionaire."

[groan]

Aces McGee