PDA

View Full Version : Senate commitee to vote on "Unlawful Internet Gambling" 7/31/03

HUSKER'66
07-30-2003, 10:10 AM
On Thursday July 31, the Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee are holding a vote on bill S.627 or the "Unlawful Internet Gambling/Funding Prohibition Act". If you think that you have the right to play poker online for real money, then email your state Senator and tell them to vote "no" to the upcoming bill. You can also go to www.profreedom.com. (http://www.profreedom.com.) This affects a lot of us 2+2er's especially those of us here at the Zoo. If you would like to continue visiting your favorite "fishing" hole unabated, you better make your voice heard!

thomastem
07-30-2003, 11:38 AM
I have already done this as we all should. In the Chicago area I have very little to choose from as far as B&Ms.

I have heard conflicting reports on what this law will actully do. I've seen articles where they say there are work arounds, some say you will just need to keep more money in Neteller, and others saying it will be impossible to move money.

Neteller has an ATM card available. Even if Banks stop accepting check or EFTs would it also stop the ATM? What about Credit Unions that are in a different category than Banks, could they accept checks? Currency Exchanges?

Ted Geisel
07-30-2003, 12:15 PM
S 627, which prohibits fudning Internet Gambling through US Banks, is being "marked-up" in Committee on Thursday morning.

If you live in the following States, one of your Senators is on the Committee:

Maryland - Sarbanes
Connecticut - Dodd
South Dakota - Johnson
Rhode Island - Reed (D)
Rhode Island - Chafee (R)
New York - Schumer
Indiana - Bayh
Georgia - Miller
Delaware - Carper
Michigan - Stabenow
New Jersey - Corzine
Alabama - Shelby
Utah - Bennett
Colorado - Allard
Wyoming - Enzi
Nebraska - Hagel
Pennsylvania - Santorum
Kentucky - Bunning
Idaho - Crapo
North Carolina - Dole
New Hampshire - Sununu

Mark-up is when a bill is re-written basically to propose Committee amendments.

ASK YOUR SENATOR TO OPPOSE THE BILL or EXEMPT POKER GAMES.

Ted "To the Barricades" Geisel

Ted Geisel
07-30-2003, 12:29 PM
You can cut and paste this to send to your Senators:

Dear Senators:

Please consider opposing S 627, which would prohibit US poker players from playing online against each other or other players around the world.
Interactive online poker is a social form of gambling. The House does not participate in the wagering and the players play strictly against each other. The international form of competition and chat between ordinary people do more to help the US image abroad (and educate US players about other countries) than you might imagine.

Poker is a traditional All American game, as popular on Capitol Hill historically as anywhere. PLEASE exempt it from the online funding prohibition, your constituents will thank you.

Act today, act tomorrow.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Senators Reed & Chaffee have altready received a letter from me.

Ted Geisel
07-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Good. Thanks.

Anyone from Maryland should contact Senator Sarbanes, especially.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-30-2003, 01:20 PM
The problem I have with this e-mail is that is implies that the bill is justified if poker is exempt. People should be just as free to play slots or bet sports online as play poker.

It also implies that "world opinion" is relevant to our our sovereign right to make law. It isn't.

MS Sunshine
07-30-2003, 01:34 PM
I think poker and sports betting are looked at differently by the public at large. Legally I wish that poker is taken up separtlly from sports betting which law enforcement can show ties there for OC.

I'm very open to what folks can do with their own money, in their own homes. I don't bet sports. I'm not against internet sports betting, but I don't wish Poker lumped with sports betting on this bill. Poker by itself has a good place right now with the American public at large. Thank you WPT.

MS Sunshine

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-30-2003, 01:41 PM
I probably feel the same as you about not lumping poker in with sports betting, and the truth is, the bill is designed to target the offshore sports books.

However, from a political perspective, I can't put my name on a letter that even hints that any portion of this bill is in any way valid.

Where is Barry Goldwater now that we need him? (ps, I know he's dead)

Ted Geisel
07-30-2003, 05:46 PM
If you feel as MS Sunshine does, TELL yoyur Senators, don'tjust post it here on 2+2 .... Email them today, please.

This is one of those critical points in a Bill's legislative process to get it attacked or watered down. If you do not act now, you have lost one more opportunity ........ and a lot bigger one than missing a bet on the River, too.

Ted Geisel