PDA

View Full Version : How do you play JJ here and why? Interesting bubble situation.

theordinaryboy
12-30-2005, 08:06 AM
$100+10 buy-in normal 50/30/20 payout structure

5 left blinds 400/800 blinds double every 6 mins, at this point there are about 4 mins left to next round.

player 1 4800
Hero 5400
Player 2 600
small blind 700 before posting
big blind 3500 before posting

player 1 raises to 1600
Hero has JJ???

BeerNutts
12-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Moving all-in IMO can't be the wrong play. At this point, with your small stack vs. the blinds pushing with JJ is pretty good. Also, considering there's a real good chance you might win it there without a call (UTG only doubled the blinds).

Other option would be to call, but that invites the other players to call as well (the BB would have 5 1/2 to 1 odds to call), and see if a danger card hits on the flop (an A really). If so, you could see UTG's play post flop and make your move there.

My choice on the 2 is to push, no need to dick around with the blinds where they are IMO.

12-30-2005, 08:46 AM
I'd move all in simply because the raiser is VERY VERY likely to fold, given the short stacks. And hey, if he calls, you've probably got the good side of a coinflip, and a chance to money even if you lose.

vinyard
12-30-2005, 09:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd move all in simply because the raiser is VERY VERY likely to fold, given the short stacks. And hey, if he calls, you've probably got the good side of a coinflip, and a chance to money even if you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

You move all-in here because you have the fourth best hand in poker and the raisers range is likely way behind your hand.

12-30-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm for folding. We don't know anything about the tendencies of the other players, but we do know you have 2 opponents who can hurt you (P-1 and the BB). If both come in, best case is where both have smaller pairs. Even though you are 4-1 against each individually, you're only about 2-1 against both, because you now have to dodge 4 cards 5 times if you don't improve. Worst case, one has a smaller pair and the other has AK or AQ and you have to dodge 8 cards. If my math is right, that makes JJ less than even money. Even a 1 in 3 chance that you will end up with too few chips to fight on is too risky for my taste. And of course if P-1 has one of the "big three," you're a big dog already.

UMTerp
12-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Anything but going all-in is just plain wrong.

You have him covered, your fold equity is tremendous, and you have a great hand.

12-30-2005, 09:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have JJ... what are you afraid of here? The very very few times you are beat are small enough to warrant the tremendous gains you make from pushing EVERY OTHER TIME.

12-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Shoooooooveee ittttt

12-30-2005, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You move all-in here because you have the fourth best hand in poker and the raisers range is likely way behind your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the fact that there are two short stacks here is far more significant than the fact that we have JJ. If I was in the right mood here and I had seen the villain make this move before, I might resteal with a pretty wide range of hands. JJ is an added bonus to the situation that just makes it a no-brainer.

12-30-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have JJ... what are you afraid of here? The very very few times you are beat are small enough to warrant the tremendous gains you make from pushing EVERY OTHER TIME.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the rush is. JJ is a good hand, but it is very vulnerable to overcards. There are 3 players yet to act. My question back to you is: Are you hurt at all if Player 1 steals the blinds?

Personally, I don't think hero has a dog in that fight and don't see a need to risk going from the big stack to a short stack.

theordinaryboy
12-30-2005, 04:16 PM
this was an interesting hand to me mainly because of the situation it provided after the hand, i did not think about what everyone stack sizes would be and what the situation would be like if i won the all-in or if everyone folded to my all-in, but now after this game i will try and add that concept into my decision making process.

Results.

Player 1 raises 1600
Hero goes all-in for 5400
Player 2 calls for 600
blinds fold
player 1 calls

Player 1 shows 44, Hero JJ, Player 2 KQo

Player 2 hits a K on the river, whilst Hero's JJ hold out against Player 1's 44.

Ok stack sizes are now,

Hero 9600
Player 2 3000
Player 3 (small blind from above hand)300
Player 4 (big blind from above 2700)

As many players should know this is a perfect bubble situation for the big stack.

From this point on it was plain sailing (regardless of what hands i was dealt) to first place.

So basically, if i had have worked out that if i was called and won i would effectively been guaranteed first then this would have definitely swayed and made a big impact on my decision to go all-in with the jacks.

In essence the point of this post is to suggest that perhaps players (certainly including myself) should try to think about what situation they would be in if they win/lose a hand. This applies to not just how large their stack size is but also the relative stack sizes of opponents and whether or not a golden situation will arise if they are called and win.

Naturally i could not predict that player 2 was gonna call and win or that player 3 or 4 would fold, but nevertheless i believe that it could be something to think about a lot more.

runner4life7
12-30-2005, 04:24 PM
i go all in with any 2 here

runner4life7
12-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Player 1 shows 44,

what site do you play on? i want to play the 100s