PDA

View Full Version : Building a new computer?

12-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Thanks Wonderwes for your help in the upgrade thread and for your start my own thread suggestion.

My computer is an Athlon 1.15 GHZ, HD 5400 with 1 gig of the older ram (sdram?) and a G FX 5900 video card.

I am ready to spend some money and get a faster up to date computer mainly for the purpose of playing poker with the use of PT, Gametime+ etc., browsing the internet and playing music.

I have read some things about people using two computers or two hard drives so that they can run PT and such on one and the poker programs on the other. Can this be done with two HD as they would be using the same processor? Or is this not even necessary?

Currently I am not playing enough tables to need dual moniter capabilities, but hope to be there soon so would like to include a video card to do so, but I will not be doing any gaming.

At what point does the drop off happen on the different components where price exceeds need?

If I have this computer built where is a good place to start?

I have been vague on what I am planning on getting because I am open to suggestions on all aspects, but I will help narrow anything down that needs to be.

12-30-2005, 12:59 PM
what budget are you looking at? I am not familiar with the various poker programs you guys run or what they really take, but from some posts it seems that the databases get big.

I would say that any newer processor would work. I wouldnt go hog wild because your not building a gaming computer.

I really dont want to say what processors to get cause I dont know your budget. Id say at least a gig of ddr. for video you could probably get away with on board, but if you plan on double monitor might want to consider that as well. Id say get some big HD's if you plan to run these big poker hand databases and data mine.

As far as where to get it, your best bet is to build it, if you cant do that look at one of the major manufactures, dell, etc. You can get a base system and just upgrade it.

If you can give me more specific details on your budget I might be able to give you a better idea.

12-30-2005, 04:33 PM
I dont want to spend a bunch of extra money on things that I dont need. However, I am willing to spend enough to eliminate my computer from bogging down with the ability to use two moniters while multi tabling, running poker program, the internet, and possibly music or whatever.

I am totally unfamiliar with prices, so is there a ballpark for what I would like to do?

Also, is it better to run two computers with seperate processors and some applications on one and some on the other or will two HD's accomplish the same thing?