PDA

View Full Version : A rules question

Aragorn
07-29-2003, 04:33 PM
I am playing on a site that has a rule restricting getting up and sitting down at a table again. If you leave a seat and return to the table within 20 minutes, you must buy in with at least as much as you had when you left.

Do you think this is a good rule?

tiltboy
07-29-2003, 05:01 PM
Is this rule applied to just PL and NL games or all games including limit?

Wake up CALL
07-29-2003, 05:23 PM
Any rule that stops "Rat-holers" is a very good rule.

Aragorn
07-29-2003, 05:35 PM
All games. How does that make a difference

Aragorn
07-29-2003, 05:35 PM
?

Wake up CALL
07-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Rat-holers are players that make a score in a P/L or N/L game then remove money from the table and play a short stack so they keep their profit. This is normally forbidden in B&M rooms and should be banned as well at online cardrooms.

Aragorn
07-29-2003, 06:13 PM
That makes sense. Do you think this rule makes any sense in a limit game?

I was frustrated when I wanted to play two limit games and found out I had too much tied up on the first. I had enough to put 4 times the minimum buy on both games, but I had to wait 20 minutes to buy back into the first game. Their people said the rule was there by demand of the players, but the couldn't explain the logic to me.

I can see it for PL and NL, but it still makes no sense to me on limit games. Am I missing something?

clovenhoof
07-29-2003, 08:40 PM
The most obvious benefit of "going sourh" is at a PL or NL table, where the swings -- and scores -- can be big. Weak players (who also happen to be chislers) will want to protect their winnings by getting them off the table. The more they get themselves all in, the less they have to fear from getting into the action.

Given the minimum buy at limit games -- generally 10 times the big blind -- it's easy for a player to be all in on the first hand after a new buy in any kind of loose or aggressive game, so really, my view is that the rule is just as valuable for limit games as for PL or NL. In short, it's about the action, not the structure.

'hoof

Wake up CALL
07-29-2003, 11:53 PM
I have never seen the rule applied in a limit game, it serves no practical function if you have a minimum buy-in limit.

BigSlick
07-30-2003, 12:14 AM
agree /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Terry
07-30-2003, 01:35 AM
It's the standard "Table Stakes" rule; once you have money on the table it must stay on the table until you leave the game.

Leaving the game and sitting right back down with less money is just plain angle shooting. Although it does appear that your intention was legitimate, for rules to work the rules must apply to everyone at all times.

RollaJ
07-30-2003, 08:46 AM
the rule online is kind of pointless as you can just go to another card room or site