PDA

View Full Version : Question/Opinions on Poker Books

XPac
07-29-2003, 12:56 PM
I've been playing poker off and on for about 20 years, basically ever since I was about 8 (grandpa taught me). Now I've only played low limit home games (draw, stud, HE) and low limit online, and I usually finish ahead (I'm definitely a beginner though, as I've always played more by feel, not by calculating pot odds). On the other hand, I've considered myself an "advantage" player at blackjack for about 5 years now, I've studied the odds/probabilities, ran simulations, card counting, etc and done pretty well at the tables. Bottom line, I understand math, statistics, and probabilities mostly from my formal education, and I've learned how probabilities relate to cards from blackjack. So here's my question: I currently have TOP and HFAP, and I'm understanding them pretty well. I also ordered Brunson's Super System just because it's considered a classic poker book. I was thinking of picking up Jone's book Winning Low Limit HE because it has been recommended so highly on this site and others for beginners, however several of the reviews say it strictly for people learning the game, new to the concepts of poker, etc. I'm trying to figure out from those of you who have it, whether you think I would stand to benefit from this book already having a basic background in poker?

Louie Landale
07-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Jones is pretty good reading and gives insight at beating low-limit games (for biginners or otherwise). I don't think it makes for good reference material, for example how to play in a particular situation.

If you are a read-and-digest-and-consider sort of person, get it. If you are a mindlessly-apply-religiously-what-you-read person, I'd stick with 2+2.

BTW. The "math" of poker is mostly focused on developing a strategy and really isn't used that much at the table. Yes, if you KNOW he has a straight you can calculate pot-odds etc, but getting a good "feel" works out better in the long run: who needs pot-odds when you "feel" he's bluffing. When playing advanced players you'll need to apply much more math to your strategy and often during play, but that can wait.

- Louie

XPac
07-29-2003, 04:12 PM
After considering it, and the fact that I can get it for
<$20 /images/graemlins/cool.gif, I think I'll pick it up....

Stu Pidasso
07-30-2003, 02:17 AM
Chances are that you will read Jones' book and one day while your at the table you will think about something he wrote. That something will either save you some money or help you collect a little more. Basically, if it helps your game in the slightest, you will soon recoup the cost of the book and the time to read at the poker tables. I would suggest you buy the book. I'm sure Lee would appreciate the royalty too.

Stu

Thalcor
08-03-2003, 08:22 PM
I just finished reading Lee Jones book for the third time in the last month and I'm still picking up things each time I read it. It's a quality book, no question.

Clarkmeister
08-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Since you have TOP and HPFAP already, I'd definitely put Carson's book on the list of books to buy.

gte910h
08-06-2003, 06:54 PM
You said you've been playing by feel mostly. TOP is really really cool for a person like you. I'm glad to hear that you've bought it already.

HPFAP is a bit more questionable. It is hard to not have a "basic strategy" to fall back on per se when people are calling down all the time. I started out with HPFAP and TOP alone, and kept on wishing I had something more basic to fall back on.

If there is a part of HPFAP that is a little unclear it is the section on what adjustments are necessary to deal with loose games.

You will easily make back the purchase price of WLLH, or Poker for Dummies (written by Lou Kreiger), and you'll have a simple strategy to revert to when you need to.

If you want to play stud, you should read Roy West's book, although you may be playing long enough that you'd not profit that much from it.

Most of super/system is dated. You do need to know its NL section if you're going to play in that sort of tournaments, but there are many other NL books that are more up to date and integrate Doyle's suggestions into their strategies.

crockpot
08-06-2003, 11:52 PM
for opinions on a bunch of poker books, click my website below and go to the poker homepage, then the poker books page.

on to jones's book. the new edition of this is laid out similarly to sklansky's hold 'em book except that it is designed for looser games. most of the sections on play after the flop are good, but i think his pre-flop play is weird. he correctly tells you to play tighter in early position, but he recommends folding hands like small pairs that should be played in games with six or more people per flop, while in late position he recommends playing danger hands like KJo which do not play well in loose games. his raising standards from the blinds are also pretty loose.

in my opinion, if you're facing a consistently loose lineup, the best book is the complete book of hold 'em poker by gary carson. this book is not 'complete', lacking good sections on turn and river play as well as other segments, but it complements the sklansky and jones books very well. its main strength is in showing you how to adjust strategy based on game composition (tight/loose, aggressive/passive).

if you have the time/money, read these books for help in low limit games:

hold 'em poker (sklansky)
winning low-limit hold 'em (jones)
the complete book of hold 'em poker (carson)
7-card stud: the complete course in winning (west)