PDA

View Full Version : Early Position Raises - how aggressive?

NoChance
07-29-2003, 12:44 PM
My theory for raising when in early position (first 3 from BB) is to raise AK, AKs, QQ, KK, and AA. Occasionally raise AQs, AJs, KQs, and AQ if first to call. I usually get about 3-4 callers. I like to try and stay aggressive and bet the flop unless say three suited cards show that I have none of. If nothing pairs you or fits your suits, when do you stop betting? It seems if I stop betting it gives everyone a free card if they don't have a hand already. It also shows weakness. On the other hand, if I continue to bet all the way through I usually get called by one or two people to the river and then raised. If I get raised I am stuck. Because I bet all the way through, there is now way to put these other people on a hand or tell if they are bluffing. At that point someone usually turns up two pair or hits a straight on the river to beat me. How do you avoid this? What tricks can a person do in early position like this with good pocket cards? Seems like the only time I got good cards last night, I was in early position (see note below).

*ps - last night I got TERRIBLE cards. I played 371 hands and won 13 of them. Twice I won because everyone folded preflop. Yuck. The winning percent was 3.5%. I minimized losses by only playing 18% of the flops but man, this can't continue.

fireman664
07-30-2003, 05:57 PM
AA,KK,QQ,AKo,AQo NEED to be raised with. They lose value as the pot gets more multi-way. On the other hand AKs, AQs, AJs, KQs play better in multi-way pots (so dont run off people with a raise, be more apt to limp) JJ IMHO needs either alot of people in, or just heads-up or 2 people. If a raise can get you heads-up (in a game where people will respect an EP raise) its a good move, otherwise i'd limp, and hit your set, or get out at the first sign of trouble.