PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else like Campari?

celiboy
12-29-2005, 01:29 AM
Campari is an Italian alcohol invented back in about 1850. Anyways it is very bitter and has about 25% alcohol content and if I'm given a bottle it usually is gone within a couple of hours and gets me good and smashed. Now I had a couple friends try this stuff and they said it was the vilest crap they ever tasted and could not finish their drinks. I will grant that is very bitter (if anyone has tried the Italian soda - Chinotto, it kind of tastes like that but not sweet). It is very popular in Italy. Any other fans out there?

mushi
12-29-2005, 01:32 AM
Both my parents like it /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

me and my sister hate it /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mushi /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UncleSalty
12-29-2005, 01:37 AM
I enjoy it quite a bit mixed w/ club soda and a lime wedge.

It's a great beverage when doing blow.

daryn
12-29-2005, 01:38 AM
super bitter.. i didn't like it when i was in italy even though i drank it a few times. i might get it again just to try and force myself to acquire the taste.

kipin
12-29-2005, 01:41 AM
Can you buy this at a local ABC store or is this something you have to import from Italy?

daryn
12-29-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can you buy this at a local ABC store or is this something you have to import from Italy?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's available around here

celiboy
12-29-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can find it in about 50% of liquor stores where I live. Normally the higher end ones will have it as your skid row type liquor store will not sell much of this stuff. It's about 20 bucks a bottle. I normally drink it straight or with a bit of lime or orange juice with it.

miajag81
12-29-2005, 01:58 AM
Campari + club soda = amazing

celiboy
12-29-2005, 02:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Campari + club soda = amazing

[/ QUOTE ]

How much club soda do you use....one part soda, one part Campari?

You could try a Negroni..

1 part Campari, 1 part Gin and 1 part Martini Rossi Rosso (vermouth).

tonypaladino
12-29-2005, 02:55 AM
I like it. Bitter drinks seem to be popular as aperitifs in Italy.

miajag81
12-29-2005, 03:04 AM
More club soda than that...like a shot of Campari and the rest of the glass full of club soda...about the same proportion as a gin and tonic.

sfer
12-29-2005, 11:18 AM
I like it.

Aces McGee
12-29-2005, 11:23 AM
My dad's favorite drink is a Campari and soda. He recently introduced it to me, and I like it as well. I know of very few others who like it, though. I've been told it tastes like Alka-Selzer.

-McGee

callydrias
12-29-2005, 04:59 PM
/images/graemlins/heart.gif negronis

mrkilla
12-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Most places seem to have it, the liqour store i used to work at had it in the back becasue no one shopped for it they would just ask. Like Frangelico

mrkilla
12-29-2005, 05:16 PM
While on the topic of bitter italian drinks. What's your take on Grappa?

Aces McGee
12-29-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your take on Grappa?

[/ QUOTE ]

My roommates and I recently bought a bottle of grappa to try it out. Once we tasted it, we decided that there was no way we were going to drink it unless we somehow forced ourselves to, so we made a pact that any time the three of us were home for the night, we'd each finish a glass. Yuck.

I'm sure it wasn't the best grappa available, but I can't imagine the difference being large enough that I'd actually like others.

-McGee

MrMon
12-29-2005, 05:37 PM
I need to dig in the basement for a parody I have of a Campari ad. After seeing that, I never wanted to try the stuff. If I find it, you'll see why.

Speaking of bitter Italian drinks, ever try Beverly? Made by Coca-Cola and always featured at their World of Coca-Cola exhibits, it's the only things that gets people to do universal spit-takes.

Rduke55
12-29-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What's your take on Grappa?

[/ QUOTE ]

My roommates and I recently bought a bottle of grappa to try it out. Once we tasted it, we decided that there was no way we were going to drink it unless we somehow forced ourselves to, so we made a pact that any time the three of us were home for the night, we'd each finish a glass. Yuck.

I'm sure it wasn't the best grappa available, but I can't imagine the difference being large enough that I'd actually like others.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to hate grappa too. But I love it now. You have to spring for the good stuff though. Germain-robin has some fantastic bottlings and that's the only grappa I drink now.

I hated Campari for a long time too. But some drinks I love it in. The Negroni is good but try a Romanza:
1 part Campari
1 part Grand Mariner
3 parts grapefruit juice

(actually the original recipe calls for less juice than the liquors but I prefer it this way)

Ulysses
12-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Celi,

I think I've only had this in Negronis, which I hate. My dad loves Campari.