PDA

View Full Version : dumb airplane question

The Ocho
12-28-2005, 03:53 PM
During the pre-takeoff speech on all 4 flights I took this past week, the stewardess instructed passengers to put up their window shades. Why would the windows need to be "open" during takeoff?

(fwiw- during landing, no window shade instructions were given)

Shajen
12-28-2005, 03:55 PM
so you can see the ground rushing up to meet you as you crash.

I honestly have no idea.

MrTrik
12-28-2005, 03:55 PM
I've never experienced this. Was the plane on a flat escalator sort of device?

MrTrik
12-28-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so you can see the ground rushing up to meet you as you crash.

I honestly have no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said takeoff not landing.

Shajen
12-28-2005, 03:57 PM
ever see a plane take off then crash shortly after? That's what I meant.

BeerMoney
12-28-2005, 03:58 PM
I think if you can see the horizon, you are less likely to get motion sickness.

MrTrik
12-28-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ever see a plane take off then crash shortly after? That's what I meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. Gotcha. Whooosh ... went right over my head.

MelchyBeau
12-28-2005, 04:04 PM
I have never heard of this before either. Though I rarely pay attention to what they are saying.

however google is your friend in this. Section G (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8400/media/volume3/3_010_02.pdf)

It seems to deal with the possible need for an emergency evacuation of the airplane. more windows open will mean easier to see where you are going.

Melch

jba
12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
if the windows are open the passengers will not be blinded when the fuselage rips open and you have to get out

also, when the plan inevitably crashes and bursts into flames, the ground crew is better able to look into the plane to figure out who needs some saving.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Aerodynamics... and structural stability... plus a little bit of weight distribution. There's a couple fluxes involved - it's complicated.

OtisTheMarsupial
12-28-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
During the pre-takeoff speech on all 4 flights I took this past week, the flight attendant instructed passengers to put up their window shades.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

pokerdirty
12-28-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aerodynamics... and structural stability... plus a little bit of weight distribution. There's a couple fluxes involved - it's complicated.

[/ QUOTE ]

my sarcasm detector just went off the charts

The Ocho
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
During the pre-takeoff speech on all 4 flights I took this past week, the flight attendant instructed passengers to put up their window shades.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

female flight attendant != stewardess ????

MrTrik
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention the psychological inertia.

CrazyEyez
12-28-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope this is just a joke that wasn't funny. If not, explain what's wrong with stewardess.

pokerdirty
it's obviously because terrorists turn to dust in sunlight.

miajag81
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope this is just a joke that wasn't funny. If not, explain what's wrong with stewardess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was just being a PC-tard.

CrazyEyez
12-28-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was just being a PC-tard.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I assumed. I just fail to see what is un-PC about stewardess.

OtisTheMarsupial
12-28-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

explain what's wrong with stewardess.

[/ QUOTE ]

From dictionary.com:
[ QUOTE ]

Usage Note: Many critics have argued that there are sexist connotations in the use of the suffix -ess to indicate a female in words like sculptress, waitress, stewardess, and actress. The heart of the problem lies in the nonparallel use of terms to designate men and women. For example, the -or ending on sculptor seems neutral or unmarked. By comparison, sculptress seems to be marked for gender, implying that the task of sculpting differs as performed by women and men or even that the task should typically be performed by a man. For occupational titles, the use of -ess has been almost completely replaced by recently formed gender-neutral compounds such as flight attendant and letter carrier or by the -er/-or forms. The Usage Panel finds use of the -or suffix to refer to women perfectly acceptable. Ninety-five percent of Panelists approve of sculptor in the sentence The gallery is exhibiting work of sculptor Barbara Hepworth. Sculptress is far less accepted; sixty-five percent reject it in the sentence Georgia O'Keeffe is not as well known as a sculptress as she is as a painter. ·A few words ending in -ess, such as goddess and giantess, have long been established in the literature of religion and mythology and are unlikely to be construed as sexist when used in these contexts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not PC, it's feminist.

"Political correctness" varies depending on who is in political power. Generally, it means whatever is least offensive. It doesn't seek to actually change opinion or perspective.

"Feminist" varies too, but in general seeks to abolish sexism.

CrazyEyez
12-28-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Usage Note: Many critics have argued that there are sexist connotations in the use of the suffix -ess to indicate a female in words like sculptress, waitress, stewardess, and actress... The Usage Panel finds use of the -or suffix to refer to women perfectly acceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah that makes sense.

NutzyClutz
12-28-2005, 04:43 PM
The windows are open so you have a frame of reference in an emergency. Which way is up.

Soul Daddy
12-28-2005, 04:44 PM
This is so silly. If the term "stewardess" is outdated because it conjures sexist images, that is somewhat understandable. To suggest that the entire -ess suffix is offensive because it identifies the gender of its subject? That's just plain oversensitive.

Eurotrash
12-28-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Usage Note: Many critics have argued that there are sexist connotations in the use of the suffix -ess to indicate a female in words like sculptress, waitress, stewardess, and actress...

[/ QUOTE ]

a further note should indicate that critics who feel this way are supremely uptight and bitchy feminazi pigs. or maybe gays

jba
12-28-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Usage Note: Many critics have argued that there are sexist connotations in the use of the suffix -ess to indicate a female in words like sculptress, waitress, stewardess, and actress...

[/ QUOTE ]

a further note should indicate that critics who feel this way are supremely uptight and bitchy feminazi pigesses. or maybe gays

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

tonypaladino
12-28-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a further note should indicate that critics who feel this way are supremely uptight and bitchy feminazi pigesses. or maybe gays

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

PocketJokers72
12-28-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

BIMO!

CORed
12-28-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a further note should indicate that critics who feel this way are supremely uptight and bitchy feminazi sows. or maybe gays

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

FYFYP