PDA

View Full Version : KQs against a preflop raise (Colorado $2-$5)

rharless
07-28-2003, 09:37 PM
I am in the single $2 blind and I am dealt KsQs.

UTG calls, EP calls, MP raises to $7, all fold to me. MP has been at the table for 30 min and has raised two hands, both which resulted in showing down AK for TPTK on the flop.

I call. I think most of the time I call here, while thinking that I should be mucking because the raiser is reasonable. Plan: two spades or JT on flop, bet or C/R or maybe C/Call to keep in other players. Q-high, bet. K-high, bet, fold to a raise.

UTG calls, EP folds. Three to the flop for $23.

Flop: Qc 6s 4c

Pretty good. I bet, EP folds, MP calls. I put him on AK now by his reaction to the flop and to my bet (he hesitates just very slightly, then calls, and sits in a posture with little confidence).

Turn: 2d

I bet, he auto-calls.

River: Ah

I check, he looks at me, he bets, I call.

Please tell me what you think, in particular, of the preflop call and the river check/call. Rate how close those decisions are, if at all.

Clarkmeister
07-28-2003, 10:20 PM
No one has ever accused me of being too tight and I'd fold preflop.

Mike Gallo
07-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Since you have not seen him raise light, I understand not three betting there. However your opponent has raised after two early postion limpers. He could have expanded his raising hands. You could attempt a three bet if you think he raised light. I cannot make a case for folding the hand. I agree with the call. Did you consider reraising?

I think you played the hand well on the flop and the turn. If you check raise you run the risk of a free card.

If he had AK at least you made him pay the max. If he had Jacks you induced a bluff. I do not think you can fold the river.

Mike Gallo
07-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Please explain why you would fold in that spot. I play fairly squeaky tight and I would call.

Just wondering why the fold?

incognito
07-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Well, I'm not Clark, but I'm sure I'm even looser than he is and I wouldn't call there either. A preflop raise from a tight player in middle position... The best I can hope for with KQ is that he's got KJ. But it's far more likely that he's got a big ace or a pair. Maybe KQ and we're tied.

And when I'm calling $5 for a shot at a 9$ pot (not to mention heads up), I'm not thinking about whether or not my cards are suited.

Dynasty
07-28-2003, 11:23 PM
The pot is a bit bigger than you are saying. There should be $13 in the pot and you've got to call $5. But, you've got the basic idea. The pot is so small that you don't want to be calling raises with dominated hands. Also, with a $5 max bet on all streets, you can't get the double size bet in on the turn or river when you make a straight or flush.

I'd call folding KQs in this spot a reasonably tough laydown. I'd expect almost all players to call without thinking twice. Then again, most players don't think once.

Nottom
07-29-2003, 01:27 AM
Pre-flop I think this is a fold against a solid raiser aganst random Joe player I'd call. On the river I think the check-call is ok, although you could certainly make a case for check-folding unless you think he would play Jacks or Tens this way.

Also why didn't you check-raise the flop?

Mike Gallo
07-29-2003, 07:52 AM
Also, with a $5 max bet on all streets, you can't get the double size bet in on the turn or river when you make a straight or flush.

I should have read the post a bit more carefully. I did not realize that the game had a max bet of $5 on each street. I thought the blinds were $2-$5.

Thanks for the response.

Clarkmeister
07-29-2003, 09:41 AM
"Just wondering why the fold"

Dominated hand. Out of position. Solid preflop raiser who hasn't gotten out of line. Small field. And a structure that really punishes you to the max to get involved if you are dominated, and adds little value for the suitedness and connectedness of your hand because your implied odds are really zilch.

I mean....why would you call? Because KQs looks pretty? I'd fold AQo here and wouldn't be thrilled about AQs.

J.R.
07-29-2003, 01:28 PM
I would fold preflop. Your implied odds are shot, you are likely dominated by the reasonable preflop raiser, and your immediate odds a little more than 2-1 (13-5). Does KQs win 1 out of 3 times against this raiser's range of hands? I don't think so, especially since you are unlikely to go to the river each time, so showdown simulations will over-value your hand. If the two limpers are likely to call, the odds get better, but that does not change the liklihood that you are dominated.

You will get into deep trouble if you flop top pair and your opponent has an overpair or has you outkicked, and given the reasonableness of the raiser, this type of domination seems likely. You only like your hand here against TT, JJ, AJs, ATs, aor KQs and many reasonable raisers will not bump these hands to 7 in this game.

You hate the river card, and unless your opponent has TT, JJ or KQs, none of this pot is yours. Check-folding feels wimpy/weak-tight, but perhaps plausible. I hate this situation. I probably make the crying call too, although if I had a read and check-folded, I would know my A game was on.