PDA

View Full Version : Should I have popped it again?

banditbdl
07-28-2003, 09:25 PM
I'm playing 2/4 live in the big blind when the following hand occurs. Two players limp, MP player raises, 2 more players cold call, I call with AQo, call, and call. 6 players see a flop of Qc, 2c, 5d. I bet and 3 players call including the preflop raiser. Turn comes 2h for Qc, 2c, 5d, 2h and I bet and preflop raiser and one other call. River comes Ac giving me top two pair but putting a possible club flush on the board as well. I bet the preflop raiser raises me and the third player folds. I call thinking I'm about to pay off a flush but the raiser shows me AK and I take down the pot.

Immediately after I felt like an idiot for not realizing what was going on here and making it 3-bets. But now I'm wondering whether my thinking is too results oriented and I was right to be worried by the flush possibility. What do you guys think?

pufferfish
07-28-2003, 10:33 PM
6 players see a flop of Qc, 2c, 5d. I bet and 3 players call including the preflop raiser.

One would think PFR would raise with anything that’s ahead. AA, KK, QQ and even AKc. I think even I would raise with two overcards and the nut flush draw. (Reference to my propensity to call.)

Turn comes 2h for Qc, 2c, 5d, 2h and I bet and preflop raiser and one other call.

So much for any strength on PFR’s part.

River comes Ac giving me top two pair but putting a possible club flush on the board as well. I bet the preflop raiser raises me and the third player folds. I call thinking I'm about to pay off a flush but the raiser shows me AK and I take down the pot.

Well, I’m pretty weak on the river but I don’t give much credence to a 3-flush when I’m heads-up, although it did go heads-up on the river. And I think we need to put more weight on the Ace falling.

TC,
pf

AceHigh
07-28-2003, 11:28 PM
You should probably fold preflop. AQ is likely to be dominated unless you are against a loose raiser.

The preflop raiser is unlikely to have a flush draw. Especially because the river card is the Ac, making the flush. He'd have to have raised with a hand like KcJc to have the flush. Unlikely, especially in 2/4 game.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be worse, you could've folded. That would be bad.

onegymrat
07-29-2003, 02:49 AM
How was your read on the preflop raiser? I feel that if he was an unknown, the call on the river raise was fine. You had two callers up to that so it's perfectly normal to assume one was on a flush draw. It could be worse, you could have checked the river!

slavic
07-29-2003, 03:38 AM
OK on the flop, fold. Hard to believe that's true but it's a fold.

Flop is really good for you.

On the River he can't really have the flush. His pre flop raise was a strong A but not AQ or an underpair JJ, TT. If he has AK it can't be suited to the clubs. The best he has is a 4 flush. I think your thinking about what beats you too much.

BTW sometimes so do I.

anatta
07-29-2003, 05:03 AM
I can't believe you are being told to fold AQo here in the big blind. That is crazy in a low limit game, your hand is probably best. I might three bet here just to see A3o and J7s squirm! There is also this Abdulian concept in low limit games where even if your hand is second best, its so much better than the other players that you are actually in decent shape.

On the river, it depends on your read of the raiser. If he is a normal player, he might have raised with KcJc, but that's it. In the heat of battle, its tough to blame you for calling. However, I have found the nice thing about aggression is even if you are wrong, its not that costly, and its so much fun that it doesn't emotionally effect my play. Contrast this with playing like a pussy (not that you did here!) and losing. That sucks!

Dynasty
07-29-2003, 12:07 PM
anatta is right. Calling one bet with AQo in the big blind is almost always going to be right.

CrackerZack
07-29-2003, 12:21 PM
You have a river raise.

PF this is definitely a call unless this guy is super-duper tighty mcwhitey. Just tread carefully if the flop comes Axx.