PDA

View Full Version : Hi-lo declare

Phat Mack
07-28-2003, 08:50 PM
Do any of the old poker books have a good coverage of the hi-lo declare games? The only ones I remember are Morehead and Roddy.

nicky g
07-29-2003, 10:54 AM
I don't know what Moorehead and Roddy are but Supersystem has some advice on declare towards the end of the hilo section.

Al Mirpuri
07-29-2003, 01:52 PM
Supersystem has 10 whole pages just on declare (without a qualifier) by David Sklansky. Morehead (that's the way its spelt on the spine of the book) has a little bit on the declare aspect whilst Zadeh (Winning Poker Systems) is rather poor on the declare aspect of Hi Lo as well.

Al Mirpuri
07-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Whilst I'm at it, who is Roddy? What did he write? Is it any good?

BNO
07-29-2003, 04:02 PM
Steiner's "Thursday Night Poker" also has some decent advice on declare.

Al Mirpuri
07-30-2003, 12:24 AM
There are actually 20 pages on Hi Lo Declare in Albert Morehead's 'Complete Guide To Winning Poker'.

Phat Mack
07-30-2003, 05:23 AM
Irv Roddy was the pen name of Irving Rottenberg, a government statistician who wrote, "Friday Night Poker or: Penny Poker for Millions," published in 1961. He discusses many home games at length. I read it forty years ago in junior high school, when the only other book I could find was Scarne, and it had a profound impact on me. From a tactical standpoint, his discussion of stud 7 and stud 7 hi-lo is weak by modern standards. He also gives attention to other hi-lo games such as Poison (which he calls Three Twist), Anaconda (called Pass the Trash), Push and Bedsprings. His discussions of hi-lo games most often cover sequential declaration, because, he states, it was the most common form at the time the book was written, although he comments on the tactics of simultaneous declare. From a strategic standpoint, it is one of the best poker books ever written, although I am not sure it would be of use to a cardbarn or internet player. I have to add that the pen and ink illustrations make it worth the couple of bucks it would cost in a used book store.