PDA

View Full Version : Question for gun nuts

Phat Mack
07-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Are there any autoloading pistols that have, as a design feature, the ability to not chamber a round when a full magazine is loaded and the slide is propery worked? (This isn't a trick question about those old Webley's)

HDPM
07-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Not to my knowledge. I don't know how such a pistol would function, in fact, I don't think such a design is possible.

Ray Zee
07-29-2003, 12:28 AM
no they would be dangerous then as you wouldnt know if it was loaded or not. but i dont know what you are fishing for but you can work the slide with a magazine in and push the cartridge that is in view down with your finger and so leave the chamber empty. after ejecting the bullet in the chamber and leaves you with an empty chamber with a full magazine. or if the chamber was already empty you can now insert a cartridge into it and get one extra round loaded.
i didnt say this very clearly but i hope you get the picture.

HDPM
07-29-2003, 12:41 AM
z, this sounds like it is hard on the fingernails, or worse. I can't get a picture of it that doesn't involve sticking my fingers where they don't belong.?????

HDPM
07-29-2003, 12:49 AM
I still don't see how such a gun would function. Your post has me thinking about it like the mechanical idiot I am. But still, the pistol would have to know the difference between the slide racking when you don't want to load a round and when you are shooting. Seems impossible. And why would you ever want the slide to operate and not have a round feed? It defeats the whole point of the thing.

Anyway, if you were looking for an additional measure of safety or comfort, the HK USP pistols can be loaded and unloaded while the safety is on, unlike most auto pistols. So you can chamber a round with the safety on, and the safety remains on after the round is loaded. I.E. the slide can operate to chamber and/or eject cartridges regardless of whether the safety is on/the pistol can shoot. I think it is a pretty good design feature.

Phat Mack
07-29-2003, 06:32 AM
I am not sure how such a gun would work, or what the purpose would be. I had invisioned a little mechanical tab operating like zee's finger, but couldn't think of a reason to add such a feature. I know nothing of guns designed in the last 30 years. I had to deal with an idiot with a gun the other day, and was grasping at straws for some way to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Phat Mack
07-29-2003, 06:40 AM
I will add that I always been attracted by weird designs. I owned an old automatic Webley, and once had a pump action .45/70 that weighed as much as a small Volkswagon.

slamdunkpro
07-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Sound like you're looking for a feature like the old Browing auto 5 shotguns had. - a magazine disconnect.

That design feature is impossible in a butt loading auto pistol

Ray Zee
07-29-2003, 11:06 AM
yes that may be what he is looking for. the browning 5 auto loader shotgun had a little lever you could throw, which would allow the slide to function without a shell getting chambered. this way you caould change to a different weight of shot for the next round if you wanted without unloading the whole gun. i had one once and like the gun even though it was ugly and heavy. i have an old pistol of theirs also that i think does something similar, i will have to take a look. plus browning had a two shot auto shotgun way back when that did the same thing. i forgot what they called it but it wasnt popular, because of only two shots.

slamdunkpro
07-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Oh yeah, that was that weird trap gun. They're worth a fortune today!