PDA

View Full Version : Diary of an Online Poker Player #1

GrinningBuddha
07-28-2003, 08:39 PM
July 18, 2003 – Day 1

Yes. I want to play poker online. A simple enough decision, but simply a decision nonetheless. After all, if there are three birds on a fence, and two decide to fly away, how many are left? Three, of course.

Step one: Set up a source of funds with which to deposit the starting bankroll. This meant starting a Neteller account, and setting up a US dollar account with my bank. While the latter was not mandatory, it would allow me to keep my recreational money separate from my non-recreational money. Simple stuff. Or so I thought.

A trip to my local bank branch was necessary to set up the new account. A couple signatures and ½ an hour later, I was set up. Neteller then received the account information so that they could verify the account and subsequently deposit and withdraw funds from it. Within 3 – 5 business days, I would receive an small amount in the account, and I would then report that amount to Neteller in order to verify that everything was good in the world. So the wait began…

Day 8

One week later, there was still no deposit amount showing. I contacted Neteller using their online chat program and was directed to call their 1-800 number. Um, ok. The rep advised me that the verification deposit had been sent off, and that I should check with my bank to see if they had received it but were not showing it as deposited yet. Okee dokee. My bank rep showed no transactions for the past week on my new account. Hrm. Odd. I’ll give it one more day, and then talk to Neteller again.

Day 9

“Yes, I set up the savings account last week, and I verified the account number with the rep I spoke to yesterday.”
“Oh, it’s a savings account? That’s the problem then, it has to be a chequing account.”
“Oh. Ok, I’ll get that changed then. Thanks.”

<grumble>

Saturday. No poker account yet. Bank rep not in until Monday. Buddha not grinning much.

Day 10

I may not be able to play for real money, but dammit, no one’s going to stop me from taking other people’s play money. I played in four tournaments today, with some good results. #2 out of 100 in a TruePoker Omaha Hi-Lo pot limit tourney, #50 out of 100 in a TruePoker NL Hold’em tourney (bleh), #3 in a single table 7cs Hi-Lo tourney on Party, and #1 in a subsequent tourney of the same type. Especially satisfying in the final event was busting the fellow that finished first in the previous stud tournament. Muahahaha. While hold’em is my strongest game (ring, primarily), I am trying to branch out so that I can take advantage of any + EV opportunities that might arise.

Day 11

“Well that’s strange, they shouldn’t need a checking account to make a deposit, but we’ll create a new one for you. Here’s your new account number.”
“Why is there a 9 after the transit number?”
”That’s our province code. It doesn’t normally show on our paperwork since other Canadian banks don’t need it.”
“So using a zero as the fifth digit in the transit number would mean that someone wouldn’t be able to deposit money into my savings account?”
“That’s right.”
“Oh. Ok. I’ll get that changed then. Thanks.”

<grumble>

I like banks. Banks are fun. For a more thorough insight into my view on Canadian banks, please visit www.xdude.com (http://www.xdude.com) and watch “The Dough” presentation. It sums it up pretty nicely; it also demonstrates how Flash animation should really be done. (No, there is nothing adult about the content.)

And so the waiting continues. The deposit should be done by the end of the week. On the bright side, Party Poker just sent me a very generous 50% deposit offer if I deposit before August 7. Yummy! This will do wonders for my limited micro-limit bankroll. In the meantime, there’s play money bankrolls to plunder. Avast, ye mateys! /images/graemlins/cool.gif