PDA

View Full Version : Personality Disorders (Very long)

06-28-2002, 12:18 PM
I just got done taking the US Med. Licensing Exam Step 1. Part of the test is basic Psychiatry/Behavioral science. I kind of find this stuff interesting, even though I'm not sure I would want to be a psychiatrist. For example take a look at the following.

A Personality trait is defined as an enduring pattern of perceiving, relating to, and thinking about the environment and oneself that is exhibted in a wide range of important social or personal contexts.

On the other hand, a personality disorder occurs when these patterns become inflexible and maladaptive, causing impairment in social or occupational functioning or subjective distress.

(USMLE First Aid 2002)

Personality disorders are ego syntonic, meaning, that the person who has it can't see there is something wrong with them, not the rest of the world.

Here are some fun ones I think we have all come across, especially in the world of poker rooms and poker forums:

Narcissistic: Grandiosity, sense of entitlement, always demands the best service. (Always a person at every poker room I have ever been to who demands the 'best' service, and enjoys yelling at the dealer, cocktail waitress, floorman, etc.)

Histrionic: excessive emotionality, somatization, attention-seeking, sexually provocative. (I tend to see this one at the big poker rooms like the Taj, where there are usually a few poker "groupie drama queens" sitting next to some high roller agonizing about whether they should have bought the Chanel or Gucci dress. Funny stuff.)

Obsessive-compulsive: (note this is different than obsessive compulsive disorder, which is usually more severe and debilitating) preoccupation with order perfectionism, and control. (These are the guys who always pack their chips in neat little shapes, play tight "abc" poker until something rankles them, in which case they usually become extremely agitated and often begin to tilt.)

I think I am going to step out for a few...I'll continue this later.

06-28-2002, 02:33 PM
I meant play poker, sorry[hic].

"It's hard to post to RGP, the booze & drugs just get in the way."

E-mail me at newgca@aol.com to find out: who Sklansky was cheating on Caro with opening night of the Mirage poker room; if Doug Dalton knew about it; if Howard Lederer can confirm it; and what Frank Rosenthal's opinion of it all is.

06-28-2002, 05:03 PM
books are written attempting to define exactly what paersonality is. in psychiatry, we generally take a functional approach, centering on interpersonal relationships, and inflexibility of behavior, even when your actions clearly are hurting you. it is my opinion that there is a higher representation of ocd (and ocpd), histrionic, and narcisstic personality traits/disorders, among frequent poker players than the general population. i feel these players have trouble relating to people other than objects, and relate better at the poker table, than normal social relationship[s.

i furthermore think 2+2 forum is very important, as it allows people who have dificulty seeing the whole person, start to see others as full individuals...

jmho..gl