PDA

View Full Version : Laying down TPTK on the turn for one bet

GuyOnTilt
07-28-2003, 08:16 PM
Playing live 6/12 as usual in seat 10. New player in seat 2 seems to be a little loose PF, but plays well post-flop. Seat 1 is very loose with calls on all streets and plays weakly.

I'm UTG and dealt A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif. I open-raise, S1 and S2 cold-call, all other fold. 3 to the flop for 7 SB's.

Flop comes: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet out, S1 raises, S2 cold-calls. I 3-bet, both call. 3 to the turn for 16 SB's.

Turn comes: 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif[A /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

I bet out, S1 calls, S2 raises, I muck.

I may be wrong for laying this down against only two opponents. Heads-up it's an easy call down, but I figure I'm drawing to 2 outs to chop, 4 to chop at best. If S2 turned the flush and S1 has a strong ace, then I have 2 8's and 2 A's to chop. If S1 has an ace and S2 has an 8 then it's the 2 A's to chop. I think it's obvious I'm not ahead here, as I play very tight and I get a good deal of respect at the table. S2 is a relatively new player to the table and I've never faced him before, but I still don't think a strong ace would raise into that board unless perhaps he held the K /images/graemlins/spade.gif, in which case a semi-bluff raise might be in order. That is the only scenario I could come up with in the 5 seconds I thought about it, but I found it highly unlikely as I thought S1 had a strong ace, and after S2's cold call on the flop I put him on an 8 or flush draw.

Is my laydown too weak? Or are my reads solid enough of the time to justify saving myself 2 BB's for a calldown in what would probably end up being a 17 BB pot?

GrinningBuddha
07-28-2003, 10:16 PM
S1 calls, S2 raises

S2 is not raising a 9 here, nor is he likely to be raising a nut flush draw on a paired board, unless he's really trying to put a move on you. At worst, you're drawing dead to quads, at best you're drawing to 1 or 2 outs to split or win, depending on whether S1 has an ace (looks like he does). Are you beat more than 6% of the time here? I say yes. Good fold.

Nottom
07-29-2003, 01:10 AM
If you aren't raising with the nut flush in S2's position you are making a mistake. Check that ... if you aren't raising with any flush you are making a mistake.

Nottom
07-29-2003, 01:19 AM
I think its a pretty easy lay down. S2 certainly is acting like he has the flush here. S1 certainly seems like he has at least an A or an 8 so you probably have at best 3 outs to fill up and may very well be chopping if you hit one of them. The pot is 12BB here which is pretty big, but you probably don't have the odds to call unless you think there is a good chance he is making a move on you.

onegymrat
07-29-2003, 02:39 AM
Tilt,
Why are you second guessing yourself? It's fairly obvious that one has at least an 8 and/or one has at least a flush. You don't have to keep playing just because you had a great hand to start. I think you played all of it well.

P.S. Where are you playing live games with 10 seats in so.cal?

GrinningBuddha
07-29-2003, 03:58 AM
If you aren't raising with the nut flush in S2's position you are making a mistake. Check that ... if you aren't raising with any flush you are making a mistake.

Nut flush draw, not the nut flush. I was referring to the chance that S2 is raising with the K /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

anatta
07-29-2003, 04:27 AM
This looks like an easy laydown to me. You've shown maximum strength up to this point. You can search for ways in which your opponent is semi-bluffing, but its a stretch, given that he knows you are strong. Since most players don't fold here with the hand that they know you have, the pot is vicariously protected by the millions of fish who call down everyday. Also keep in mind that this is a two bet decision, since if a blank hits, you will be calling on the end.

GuyOnTilt
07-29-2003, 04:41 AM
I'm actually up in the Seattle area for the summer. I go to college down in SoCal, but come up here for the summers.

Nottom
07-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Oops /images/graemlins/blush.gif