PDA

View Full Version : No More Making Donuts for Ad Man Michael Vale

Dynasty
12-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Dunkin' Donuts Ad Actor Michael Vale Dies (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=1447190)

http://www.nndb.com/people/422/000071209/fredsigned.jpg

I know Dunkin' Donuts started in New England (where I grew up). So, I watched this guys goofy commercials since at least the early 1980's. There was a great stretch in the '80s when the commercials were consistently funny.

NEW YORK Dec 27, 2005 — Michael Vale, the actor best known for his portrayal of a sleepy-eyed Dunkin' Donuts baker who said "Time to make the doughnuts," has died. He was 83.

Vale died Saturday in New York City of complications from diabetes, according to son-in law Rick Reil.

Vale's long-running character, "Fred the Baker," for the doughnut maker's ad campaign lasted 15 years until he retired in 1997.

Canton, Mass.-based Dunkin' Donuts said in a statement that "became a beloved American icon that permeated our culture and touched millions with his sense of humor and humble nature."

Vale was born in Brooklyn and studied acting at the Dramatic Workshop in New York City with classmates Tony Curtis, Ben Gazzara and Rod Stieger.

A veteran of the Broadway stage, film and television, Vale appeared in more than 1,300 TV commercials.

mrkilla
12-28-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
complications from diabetes

[/ QUOTE ]

you think it was all the Donuts?

It's a sad day, I heard even the Krispy Kream Flags are at half staff

YourFoxyGrandma
12-28-2005, 10:55 AM
I remember when those commercials stopped running. That day was almost as sad as this one. Rest in peace, dounut guy.

IggyWH
12-28-2005, 10:59 AM
They closed all the DD's that were around me. You couldn't beat their cherry cake doughnuts.

Dynasty
12-28-2005, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They closed all the DD's that were around me. You couldn't beat their cherry cake doughnuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it annoying that Las Vegas doesn't have any Dunkin' Donuts. How long do I have to wait for someone to open one up?

12-28-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it annoying that Las Vegas doesn't have any Dunkin' Donuts. How long do I have to wait for someone to open one up?

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't missing much.

RacersEdge
12-28-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have KK, no worries.

diebitter
12-28-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There's one in the Excalibur that I know of.

UCF THAYER
12-28-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a Krispy Kreme.

diebitter
12-28-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a Krispy Kreme.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'd gathered that, hence my addressing the statement 'If you have KK, no worries.'

UCF THAYER
12-28-2005, 08:05 PM
my bad, didn't really read the thread.

Blarg
12-28-2005, 08:24 PM
I can't recall ever seeing a single Dunkins Donuts commercial and have never seen this guy before or heard of him. Guess it's a regional thing.

citanul
12-28-2005, 08:27 PM
DD has good coffee, i don't kow if i can say the same about KK.

c

Alobar
12-28-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Krsipy kreme is so over rated it isnt even funny. Dunkin donuts is way better

kyro
12-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I could have sworn this guy died several years ago. Was there a midget who was in these commercials with him that died? I may be thinking of him.

Toro
12-28-2005, 09:00 PM
I don't know if it's a regional bias or what but a few Krispy Kreme joints have closed down in MA after a very short run. People here really like Dunkin Donuts. The must because they're like half a mile apart and they continually build more.

tonypaladino
12-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Krispie Kreme had to shut down a lot of knew locations because a financial scam they had going blew up in their face.

HopeydaFish
12-29-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I could have sworn this guy died several years ago. Was there a midget who was in these commercials with him that died? I may be thinking of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, you're thinking of Mitch Hedberg. I made the same mistake, no worries. /images/graemlins/wink.gif