PDA

View Full Version : We played the board

pufferfish
07-28-2003, 06:56 PM
$0.50/$1, 9 handed, fairly loose/passive.

I’m LMP with 9s 9d.

UTG raises, 2 folds, MP and I call. Everyone else folds.

Three see the flop, 7 SB.

FLOP: [ 6d 5s 3d ]

UTG bets, MP calls and I raise. UTG 3-bets, MP folds and I call.

At the time I was thinking I wanted to fold MP alhough it probably took UTG's 3-bet to convince him. I thought my hand might be best but again UTG's 3-bet made me doubtful.

Two see the turn, 7 BB.

TURN: [ 6d 5s 3d ] [ 4d ]

UTG bets, I call.

There's an OE straight draw on the board and I have flush outs as well. Oh yea, and the two set outs.

Two see the river, 9 BB.

RIVER: [ 6d 5s 3d 4d ] [ 7s ]

UTG bets. I call and am playing the board.

UTG shows Jc Jh and we split the pot.

Another poorly played hand?

TY,
pf

GrinningBuddha
07-28-2003, 09:52 PM
At the time I was thinking I wanted to fold MP alhough it probably took UTG's 3-bet to convince him. I thought my hand might be best but again UTG's 3-bet made me doubtful.

Let's explore this a bit. You wanted to fold MP. Ok, good plan, but if you raise and UTG calls, the average MP will call 98% of the time here. So that doesn't help. If you raise and UTG 3 bets, you may accomplish your goal, but then where are you? You end up heads up with a hand that is likely to be best. You will gain a good deal of information however. Combine that with your knowledge of UTG (will he 3 bet AK or AQ?), and you have a plan for the hand.

Once the turn hits and UTG bets again, you have 6 outs to a split (non-diamond straight cards), and two outs to a set. I won't count my 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif here as a true winner if the 4th /images/graemlins/diamond.gif hits, as I think there's about a 50/50 chance that UTG will have a bigger one. If we consider that to be 5 outs, you are making a very borderline call which in the long run will basically give you bankroll fluctuations and not much else. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So, not good, not bad, just so long as you gain some experience and some insight into how your opponents play.

pufferfish
07-29-2003, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Let's explore this a bit. You wanted to fold MP. Ok, good plan, but if you raise and UTG calls, the average MP will call 98% of the time here. So that doesn't help. If you raise and UTG 3 bets, you may accomplish your goal, but then where are you? You end up heads up with a hand that is likely to be best. You will gain a good deal of information however. Combine that with your knowledge of UTG (will he 3 bet AK or AQ?), and you have a plan for the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that MP would probably have called without UTG’s 3-bet. Even with the 3-bet it took him a couple of seconds to fold.

I still think it was worth a shot to get MP out given the draws on the flop.

Unfortunately I didn’t know UTG. It’s possible he saw what I was trying to do and decided to help out by 3-betting his overcards, but I kind of doubt it. His play was more consistent with a pair. And if he has a pair in UTG it’s probably bigger than mine.

It’s looking pretty bleak for me, but there are now 7 BB’s in the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Once the turn hits and UTG bets again, you have 6 outs to a split (non-diamond straight cards), and two outs to a set. I won't count my 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif here as a true winner if the 4th /images/graemlins/diamond.gif hits, as I think there's about a 50/50 chance that UTG will have a bigger one. If we consider that to be 5 outs, you are making a very borderline call which in the long run will basically give you bankroll fluctuations and not much else. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
When its heads-up I “choose” not to worry about my opponent having the flush or flush draw. But even with only 5 (instead of 9) additional outs for the flush, that gives me 13 outs to a split or win. With a 7 BB pot, I don’t think it’s a marginal call at all. Well, unless I’ve screwed up something. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey, thank you for your comments.

TC,
pf