PDA

View Full Version : is it me, or is devilfish taking online poker lessons from hellmuth?

crockpot
07-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Pre-flop:

Cass1e calls. Devilfish raises to $18. deadboy76
calls. The Donald folds. peasant folds.
broadstorm folds. areddodge4me9 folds. bomb calls.
Cass1e folds.

Flop (board: 9s 3d 7d):

bomb checks. Devilfish checks. deadboy76 checks.

Turn (board: 9s 3d 7d Kh):

bomb checks. Devilfish checks. deadboy76 checks.

River (board: 9s 3d 7d Kh 2s):

bomb bets $60. Devilfish calls. deadboy76 folds.

Showdown:

bomb shows As Qc Kc 2d.
bomb has Kc 2d 9s Kh 2s: two pair, kings and deuces.
Devilfish mucks cards.
(Devilfish has Jd 3s Ac 7c.)

Pre-flop:

peasant calls. broadstorm folds. areddodge4me9
calls. bomb calls. ynotgolf folds. Cass1e calls.
Devilfish raises to $28. deadboy76 calls. peasant
re-raises to $124. areddodge4me9 folds. bomb folds.
Cass1e folds. Devilfish calls. deadboy76 calls.

Flop (board: 2c 9d 9h):

Devilfish checks. deadboy76 checks. peasant bets
$185. Devilfish goes all-in for $110. deadboy76
folds. peasant is returned $75 (uncalled).

Turn (board: 2c 9d 9h 7d):

(no action in this round)

River (board: 2c 9d 9h 7d Jd):

(no action in this round)

Showdown:

peasant shows Ac 2h Ah Qd.
peasant has Ac Ah 9d 9h Jd: two pair, aces and nines.
Devilfish shows Td Kh 5s Kd.
Devilfish has Td Kd 9d 7d Jd: flush, king high.

and so i don't get accused of making a pure slander post, here's a play of Devilfish's for analysis:

Pre-flop:

areddodge4me9 folds. ynotgolf calls. Cass1e calls.
Devilfish calls. deadboy76 raises to $26. peasant
calls. broadstorm folds. ynotgolf calls. Cass1e
folds. Devilfish calls.

Flop (board: 9c Td 5d):

peasant bets $112. ynotgolf folds. Devilfish calls.
deadboy76 goes all-in for $546.50. peasant calls.

(to set some context, peasant paused for about 15 seconds before hitting call)

the action is on you, you're Devilfish holding 9s 9d 2h 7h. go all in or fold?

folded_a_monster
07-29-2003, 12:46 AM
The first hand wasn't the worst call in the world. There are no straights or flushes out there and the river two doesn't seem like it would help anybody, so it's possible that bomb was on a buy. If he had a set or top two he would've bet the flop or turn in order to protect his hand. The second hand was probably a bad call, but peasant is a very aggressive player and very capable of making that preflop raise without AA, and having only $110 left for a $400 pot doesn't seem like such a bad call on the flop with two Ks or a backdoor str8 or flush to hit (if peasant does indeed have AA). The last hand deadboy was the preflop raiser so it stands to reason that he has AA with the nut diamond draw and maybe another draw too, or 9TJQ, TJQK, or JKQA (all with diamond draws) although a hand like TTJQ isn't out of the question. Since peasant took 15 seconds to decide he obviously doesn't have TT, so if I'm devilfish, I gotta think there's a good chance I'm ahead here, so pushing isn't the worst idea in the world. What you need to understand here is that the most profitable PLO players are not the guys who wait for the nuts to bet pot. It's the guys who are great hand readers who play aggressively, bluff a decent amount, and almost always get paid off on their big hands, and Devilfish is one of the best. Just like in NL holdem, PLO is a game where table image is very important, not a nuts and bolts strategy game like limit holdem where there is a clear correct play every time. That's why players like Devilfish and peasant are able to make their living off PLO. And by the way, it's not like Devilfish has just started playing this way; He's been very loose and aggressive every time I've seen him play.

Army Eye
07-29-2003, 02:02 AM
hey now, where does the Devilfish play?