PDA

View Full Version : DVD Movie Review - Not A John Cole Special

HDPM
07-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Bought the DVD of "Slapshot" with the special bonus Hanson Brothers commentary and "puck talk." Slapshot was of course a classic and really was ahead of its time. The commentary is great. I didn't watch all of the commentary, but what I saw of it was hilarious. Many good tidbits. Like one of the "Hanson" brothers "accidentally" broke a guy's nose in filming a fight scene. They had many real hockey players in the filming and one of them was a punk who would run smack in games and then run away from the fight. So one of the carlsons got a chance to do a fight scene in the movie with him and "slipped" and connected with a real punch. Oops. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I love it when hockey wusses are brought to justice. And among my favorite scenes in the movie was where they had the goons added to the opposing team's roster for the championship game and did the introductions. The fictional biographies of the goons were great, but to hear the real ones was pretty funny too. (They were all old tough guys actually) One other tidbit (you need the DVD for yourself) is that they thought about having the guy Ogie Oglethorpe was based on play a part in the movie. But they were concerned that he was too crazy and would take a run at Newman just to hurt him for fun. So no role for him. Sorry, the movie is not particularly high brow and is not going to be the subject of much deep thought, but it is a classic fun one. Oh, it would have been fun to play on the Johnstown Jets in the '70's and ride the bus to Utica, Syracuse, etc... Drink beer, gamble, fight in half the games. Get like 7 goals, 12 assists, and 500 penalty minutes a year. Would have been excellent. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

John Cole
07-28-2003, 10:56 PM
The Hanson brothers commentary alone would be worth it. Slap Shot might be the best sports movie ever made (Bad News Bears comes close). Waddya mean not a "John Cole Movie," HDPM?

HDPM
07-28-2003, 11:07 PM
I said not a John Cole special. And it isn't. You might like it but I doubt it will prompt your most academic review.

HDPM
07-28-2003, 11:11 PM
One area where the movie was pretty far ahead was the look at changing sexual attitudes and mores among mostly uneducated or working class people. That portion of the movie was about 20 years ahead of its time.