PDA

View Full Version : open raising trash on the button

12-28-2005, 03:05 AM
I'm now open raising garbage on the button, sb, and bb, and taking it down with a cbet. If a blind calls the cbet, I play post flop poker. I play well post flop. Does anyone think this is spewing? Does anyone here have experience plaything this aggressively?

Edit: ok, maybe not any two, 56o and worse I dont. But pretty much anything else.

Edit2: NL100, 5-max, [censored] players.

DJ Sensei
12-28-2005, 03:28 AM
Button isn't so bad, but still, trash is trash. Anyone who calls has a better hand, and it can cost you to find out how much they like it. Minor spewing.

Stealing from SB with trash, I don't like at all, unless its a very, very tight BB who always folds to steals. Now, not only do you have trash, but you're out of position. Major spewing.

I don't know what you mean by open raising in the BB, but if you mean raising after it folds to button and/or SB who limp, then its... meh. Same problem as above, although at least this time you know a little more about how much button/SB like their hand. Minor spewing.

If theres anything good to come of all this stealing, your PFR% will rise, and you might get more action on your good hands. Of course, anybody who pays attention to this will also pay attention to the fact that you're stealing everytime from the button/SB, and will PUNISH you for it.

thumbs down to raising garbage.

12-28-2005, 03:09 PM
any other thoughts?

beavens
12-28-2005, 03:13 PM
i don't open raise from the sb with trash ever.

with rarely do it from the bb as well, but ill do it sometimes if it's folded around to the sb.

i'll sometime raise the button with total trash, but usually the worst i'll raise with is SCs or suited one gappers. those are really fun to play in position.

12-28-2005, 03:43 PM
yeah, scs are standard for me, i'll often raise those with limpers, but i'm talking Q8o trash.

12-28-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]What are your completion requirements? What are your raising requirements?

poboy
12-28-2005, 03:53 PM
This seems fairly standard. There was a good discussion about this a while ago, sorry I'm too lazy to find it. The basic idea is that it was better to raise garbage rather then a hand that had some value, since you don't want to be blown off a hand with some value while you can happily muck garbage. As far as blind play goes, NEVER just complete your blind if you and BB are HU, always raise or fold. Same goes for your BB, if SB just completes you should raise him always. For the people who think you will be punished for this, exactly how often do you think this situation arises? Not nearly often enough for someone to figure out what you're doing. Of course if someone does pick up on it then you need to shift gears. JMO

12-28-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
since you don't want to be blown off a hand with some value while you can happily muck garbage

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate a little here? How am I being blown off a hand with value? If I pick up AKo and open raise on the button and some chap raises me, depending on the player, I'm probably 3-betting pot size. If I just call, I'll bet if checked to, and I'll happily commit my stack with TPTK heads up with preflop action.

beavens
12-28-2005, 04:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]What are your completion requirements? What are your raising requirements?

[/ QUOTE ]

if limped to - i'll complete with AJ,KQ-KJ,QJ, AXs, certain suited, certain connected, and SCs

beavens
12-28-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
since you don't want to be blown off a hand with some value while you can happily muck garbage

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you elaborate a little here? How am I being blown off a hand with value? If I pick up AKo and open raise on the button and some chap raises me, depending on the player, I'm probably 3-betting pot size. If I just call, I'll bet if checked to, and I'll happily commit my stack with TPTK heads up with preflop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he's referring more to a less premium hand like QJs.

you hit TP, but youve got an OK kicker - puts you in a tough place whereas if you hit TP with a 4 kicker you happily fold and not regret it.

poboy
12-28-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm talking about hands with less value, you should obviously raise your premium hands. I'm talking about hands that are fairly weak but can flop big. Also this applies more to pf. Say you pick up 44 or KTs on the button and raise 4xBB and the BB reraises 20BB's(and stacks are such that you don't have the implied odds to call), you're forced to fold what is probably the best hand. If the same thing happens when you hold T8o, you can cheerfully muck the worst hand. I guess another way to put it would be don't raise hands that will make you puke if you're reraised. JMO

scrapperdog
12-28-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as blind play goes, NEVER just complete your blind if you and BB are HU, always raise or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I complete all the time and find it profitable. When I hit he flop I bet. When I dont hit the flop I bet and take it down more than half the time. Between hitting the flop and taking it down by being the first to put money in the pot I find that this is a money making situation.

When I start raising pots in the blind I find that all of a sudden the BB does not want to let go of the pot when you breath on it, and all of a sudden you are playing larger pots out of position. I am not saying never raise, but I dont see why I have to raise EVERY time when I am doing just fine with as is.

poboy
12-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Why give him a free flop? Your method and mine both cost about the same, I'm just taking my stab before he can see if the flop helps him. I'm assuming your making a PSB on the flop every time. JMO

GrunchCan
12-28-2005, 05:57 PM
This post is far too vague to give any specific, concrete advice.

That said, I will give a vague giudeline I play by.

Deciding to open-raise PF with the intent to steal the blinds is balanced by 2 main things. The likelyhood that the steal will succeed, and how comfortable I am if it fails.

The primary consideration of the first is the opposition. Of the second, your hand & position.

Maulik
12-28-2005, 06:44 PM
This really comes down to the players you're playing against with. If they are tight this is great, if not you're probably spewing chips.

Mixing it up and doing it every now and again is good to keep the blinds from murdering you, etc.

scrapperdog
12-28-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why give him a free flop? Your method and mine both cost about the same, I'm just taking my stab before he can see if the flop helps him. I'm assuming your making a PSB on the flop every time. JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of people take someone that only either raises or folds there blind in a heads up sb/bb situation personal. They are gonna start making plays at the sb in position, and pulling all kinds of other stuff. When someone starts doing this to me I start 3 betting in position with all kinds of stuff like suited connectors that I would have just checked, so I am guilty of this myself. I would say probably 80% of the time they stop doing it without a good hand after realizing I will 3 bet them and abuse my position. The really bad and the really good players dont stop, everyone else does. I hardly ever fight back at the button, but if I have positon I will fight.

I do make a psb on a limped flop 80% of the time. I wont do it on a board like 7-8-9 because there are too many cards that could call the bet.

I have found that people get worked up when someone constantly raises their blind in a heads up blind/blind situation but have no problem letting it go if they get to see the flop. Even if they flop middle pair they might not want to get involved with so little in the pot. If it was a raised pot this same person might re-raise.

I hope this makes sense. I think your method is good but there are other blind/blind methods out there, and this one has worked for me.

Iconoclastic
12-28-2005, 11:29 PM
Can someone please tell me what 'psb' stands for?

scrapperdog
12-28-2005, 11:39 PM
pot sized bet

12-29-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This really comes down to the players you're playing against with. If they are tight this is great, if not you're probably spewing chips.

Mixing it up and doing it every now and again is good to keep the blinds from murdering you, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
x2