PDA

View Full Version : When do you slow down, huge pot?

rkiray
07-28-2003, 03:47 PM
Paradise 3/6, about normal for PP 35% seeing flop. But it is aggressive. In general, very little calling of raises, most people are either reraising or folding. I've been at the table for 25 hands and no hand has been capped preflop. My database only recognizes two players, and they arn't important in this hand. Suits arn't important in this hand.

All 3 eps call, I'm next with KK, I raise, MP2 calls, co calls, button and sb fold, BB EP1 EP2 all call, then EP3 reraises, I cap, everyone calls. Capped with 7 players!! What happened, this table has just gone nuts.

Flop : J3J (29 small bets in pot)

BB and EP1 check, EP2 bets, EP3 raises, hmm, EP3 limp reraise preflop and then raises the flop. I'm thinking he has AA so I'm probably 2nd best, but this is a huge field and I would love to get any draws out in case my 2nd best hand improves. I raise, everyone calls.

Turn : 6J3J (25 big bets in pot)

Checked to EP2 who bets, EP3 raises, I get carried away and raise, folded to EP2 who caps, call, call. I think raising may have been a mistake here. I think I should have slowed down and thought for a second. This round was like a lightning round. I doubt the entire thing took 10 seconds. The bets just flew in. I got caugth up in the excitment. It may not have mattered with a pot this big and an overpair, I'm not going anywhere. And it may have been capped anyway. I'm beggining to suspect I'm up against AA and someone with a J. It may well have been capped without my bet.

River : 26J3J (37 big bets in pot when the river comes)

Bet, call, call

Results :

EP1 had J7s, EP2 limp reraised pf with JQs (guess he was trying to build a pot with that many players in, it worked!) and I come in thrid in the biggest pot I've seen on-line in months. BTW, EP1 spent the next five minutes whinnig over how he was screwed out of the pot and how Paradise is fixed. I've been hearing alot more of this the last week or so. I don't know why so many players are cranky, and I really think it's a bad idea to say you think the site is fixed, unless you have some proof. New players could easily get chased away.

Dynasty
07-28-2003, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking he has AA so I'm probably 2nd best, but this is a huge field and I would love to get any draws out in case my 2nd best hand improves.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only way your hand can improve against AA is to spike a King. So, why do you want the other drawers to fold?

You seem to have a problem laying down big pairs when it's obvious you're beaten. That's hardly a big problem. But, it's something to keep in mind.

AceHigh
07-28-2003, 11:39 PM
It's tough to laydown overpairs, so if reraising the flop makes it easier to laydown on the turn, it's not a terrible play. But you have to be able to fold on the turn. Otherwise you should just try to get to the river as cheap as possible.

You have 2 people betting into you after capping preflop. Doesn't that look like a Jack to you?

[ QUOTE ]
.EP1 spent the next five minutes whinnig over how he was screwed out of the pot and how Paradise is fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO. Guy flops trip jacks, with a bad kicker, then thinks the site is fixed when he gets lots of action from a player with a bigger kicker. Don't know what this guy looks like but his picture is in the dictionary next to the word "FISH". /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie
07-29-2003, 01:03 AM
you say this table wasnt maniacal and then this hand broke out? if youve been there for 25 hands, you should know the general betting standards of these players.

if im not folding the flop, im folding the turn. i can only see playing the way you did if these were maniacs. even then, id slow down at some point.

your thoughts about your flop raise and spiking a 2 outer? youre not getting near the odds to jam that. and (since you said suits dont matter) what draws are you trying to get out. if there's a 2 tone board and you dont have that tone, that matters. youre raise isnt getting any decent draw out.

the turn is just terrible. are these players that tough to read? theyre betting and raising into a flop 3 bettor.

too bad the honeymoon for marrying your hand cost you that much...

b

Nottom
07-29-2003, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BB and EP1 check, EP2 bets, EP3 raises, hmm, EP3 limp reraise preflop and then raises the flop. I'm thinking he has AA so I'm probably 2nd best, but this is a huge field and I would love to get any draws out in case my 2nd best hand improves. I raise, everyone calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I would be more concerned about the fact that there are 2 Jacks on the board than the possibility of AA

rkiray
07-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Twice yesterday I ran into players that claimed Paradise was fixed. The first table I played at I had just sat down (I believe it was either the second or thrid hand). I had ATd and floped a four flush against 5 opponents. Of course I jammed it. It was capped. On the turn there were still 5 others so I raised. Two of them dropped and no one reraised. I hit my flush on the turn. One guy had flopped two pair and complained that I must work for Paradise and know what cards are coming. Why else would I cap the flop? He said that I was raising with just a prayer when he flopped the nuts. He kept complaining for the fifteen minutes he stayed there. I kept quiet instead of explaining to him how I was getting 5-1 when I'm only a 2-1 dog or that two pair is not the "nuts". I don't give lessons at the poker table.

rkiray
07-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Yeah I do have a leak where I have trouble laying down hands even when I'm almost sure I'm beat. It normally shows up on the river. This hand it showed up early. It actually only shows up when the pot is big. I have no trouble trusting my reads in small pots. Unfortunately when the pot gets big, I get excited and become a gambler not a poker player. I really like capped multi-way pots. Anyone else have this problem?

rkiray
07-29-2003, 04:47 PM
There were two hearts on the flop, but no more came so I didn't think it was important. Yeah all in all I played this hand terrible. I tend to post hands that I think I played poorly. Helps the learning process. I also thought this was an interesting hand because of the limp reraise with QJo. No one has commented on that. Is six opponents enough to make this a good play? Personally, I would not do it. But it sure built a pot.

bernie
07-29-2003, 07:06 PM
"There were two hearts on the flop, but no more came so I didn't think it was important."

this is important in hand reading. especially if one of them will jam the draw. this can cause you to put them on more hands to be active with

b