PDA

View Full Version : River Checking(Stars 2-4)

12-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Here lately I've noticed myself checking the river against busted flush draws headsup especially when I have marginal holdings. Is this play standard or should I have bet the river for value? I didn't have any stats on him, but this is Stars... Anyway I figured if he had 1/2 a brain he wouldn't continue his draw at a flush that obviously couldn't win. Therefore I put him on queens or waiting to go crazy on the river with quads.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (4.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 4.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Ts 7s (three of a kind, eights).
Hero has 4s 4c (full house, eights full of fours).
Outcome: Hero wins 4.75 BB. </font>

bisonbison
12-27-2005, 08:38 PM
Don't include results.

Well played.

toss
12-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Wow its the real life bisonbison! The gmail gig going good?

12-27-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here lately I've noticed myself checking the river against busted flush draws headsup especially when I have marginal holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fact that the flop is paired here is more important then there is a busted flush draw.

You played this hand fine.

When it comes to making the check/bet decision on the river when its been checked to you HU with a marginal hand you just need to ask yourself "Is he calling my bet here with hands I beat more often then he is calling/raising me with hands I lose to?"

goofball
12-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Flop is an EZ bet.

Turn is an EZ bet.

River is an EZ bet. Why the [censored] are you not betting the river, he'll call you with any number of crappy A high hands. Checking behind on the river sucks monkey balls.

Nick Royale
12-28-2005, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
River is an EZ bet. Why the [censored] are you not betting the river, he'll call you with any number of crappy A high hands. Checking behind on the river sucks monkey balls.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I prefer betting here too.

mack848
12-28-2005, 09:42 AM
I fold preflop and bet/fold the river.

goofball
12-28-2005, 09:43 AM
I think you should raise preflop.

12-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Not that I'm all that good at value betting the river myself (currently rereading the River Play sections in SSHE over and over), but I think with no sign of strength, including limping in preflop, I would be inclined to try a bet on the river.

mack848
12-28-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we agree that calling is the worst option, yes?

goofball
12-28-2005, 10:00 AM
yeah. of course you should bet the river. this is just about the easiest river bet ever!

Nick Royale
12-28-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Calling&gt;folding&gt;raising imo. If the players left to act is extremely tight then maybe raising&gt;folding&gt;calling or raising&gt;calling&gt;folding, but at my average 5/10 table I would limp, easy. And playing an average 2/4 table raising would be terrible and folding really bad.

At a 2/4 table, raising from MP2 2nd in will most often result in a 3-4 way pot, and paying 2 bets to see the flop against 2-3 players would really suck with 44.

Nick Royale
12-28-2005, 10:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Readless raising is terrible, oh so terrible.

goofball
12-28-2005, 10:37 AM
readless raising is aweosme. Without a read limper have crap. We have a pair and a pair beats crap. We should raise and rely on our limper to just call and then fold if he misses like he usually will. How could you not raise here.

12-28-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is the worst option.

Nick Royale
12-28-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
readless raising is aweosme. Without a read limper have crap. We have a pair and a pair beats crap. We should raise and rely on our limper to just call and then fold if he misses like he usually will. How could you not raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]
At a 2/4 table, raising from MP2 2nd in will most often result in a 3-4 way pot, and paying 2 bets to see the flop against 2-3 players would really suck with 44.

Your reasoning is so weird. You're in MP2 and you're playing 2/4 and you assume a raise will get you hu.

jason_t
12-28-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible. You'll almost never get it HU and even if you do your hand has some pretty bad reverse implied odds.

12-28-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible. You'll almost never get it HU and even if you do your hand has some pretty bad reverse implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 1 limper in MP, I'm inclined to raise or fold. How often will it be raised behind you if you do limp in and then you're paying two bets to see the flop?

If you raise, as you say, most likely it won't be HU and a pair of 4's with overcards hitting in a large pot can't be good.

bisonbison
12-28-2005, 01:53 PM
With 1 limper in MP, I'm inclined to raise or fold.

Ok, I'm in MP with a small pair and 1 limper in. I am almost never going to get 4 folds if I raise. I am likely to get at least 1 limper behind me if I limp. 4 handed to the flop is not bad for a small pair, and if I limp and it's raised behind me and I flop a set, I'll have excellent position to c/r the raiser.

I think this is a pretty clear limp, but I don't think folding probably costs you a ton in the long run. Raising in a typical 2/4 game would cost you a lot of money.