PDA

View Full Version : Ladies from hell

JDErickson
07-28-2003, 01:03 PM
Interesting weekend.

$30 NL Multi table tourney at PP. 88 remaining out of 600. 50 to see the money. I'm a little above average with 7000 chips.

Blinds 150/300. I'm in SB.

Dealt QQ.button raises, I raise 500, BB raise 500, button calls, I reraise 1000. BB calls all-in, button folds, I call

Flop, turn, river come blanks.

BB turns over AA and I'm history.

Was I too agressive with QQ?

2nd hand. $100 single table NL tourney on PP. 7 players remaining. Same hand and same results.

Thanx
Jim

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Actually, you weren't aggressive enough. If the first raise just doubled the big blind, that means it was 600 to go. With a big pair like QQ, you should make a pot-size re-raise, so the best move was making it 2250 to go.

Obviously, this wouldn't have helped in this case, since you had AA left to act after you, but that doesn't change the correct play. You want to make it hard for hands like AQ and medium to large suited connectors to call.

SirFoldsAlot
07-28-2003, 01:30 PM
You had to figure you were beat when the button went all in that late in a toourney. I think I lay down here.

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-28-2003, 01:43 PM
The problem here is that we don't know stack sizes, or the true amount of each bet.

It looks to me like he's finally calling 4,400 into a pot of
10,650. With 2 players pushing back, I'm not sure I'd be able to put the all-in on AA or KK. Two players with AK is reasonable, too. It's close enough that I might take the 2.5-1 and call the all-in.

SirFoldsAlot
07-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Here's what I'm thinking...I have a damn good starting hand and a good chance to make it into the money. Obviously there are two other players with equally good starting hands( I am assuming this because they made it this far). So do I want put my tournament on the line pre flop or do I lay down and live to fight another day. I agree that its a tough call, but I lay down...

JDErickson
07-28-2003, 02:01 PM
Sorry, I didn't give enough info. Still new at this.

I had approx 7000 chips. BB had 15000 chips. Button had approx 4000 chips.

I put the button on a KQ or low PP as he folded when the stakes got high.

I was debating folding when BB went all in but I would have cost me a bunch of chips to fold. I went back and double checed the hand history. I actually was already in 4000 by the time BB went all in. So I would have been left with 3700 is I folded. I honestly wasn't expecting AA. From prior hands I was expecting AKs or possibly JJ.

Oh well, live and learn.

Jim

Kurn, son of Mogh
07-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Even if you expand his possible hands to include AA, KK & AKo, if you put one K in the folded hand, there are 9 combinations to which you are a 4-1 dog and 18 combinations over which you are an 11-9 favorite. With admittedly imperfect math, I think your EV in calling is 4524, your EV folding is obviously 4400. So yes, it's +EV, but to give SirFoldsAlot his due, it is an awfully close call.

Godfather
07-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi....far be it for me to give advice here as there are far better players who post here but the 2 things that would concern me is that the BB puts in the "third" raise pre-flop. I remember reading a quote from TJ once where he said" the second raise pre-flop...probably aces.....the third raise pre-flop....99.44% sure Ivory Snow Aces...plus the fact that the BB had 15000 in chips he's not screwing around...if he was the short stack ...different story....