PDA

View Full Version : deep fryers

unlucky513
12-27-2005, 01:08 PM
got this for xmas:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000070IBV.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

one of my favorite gifts this year..

anyone own a deep fryer?? what all do you fry? i went to the store last night and picked up the basics, (tater tots, fries, onion rings, shrimp, chicken) what else do you recommend i fry?

one of my friends suggested that i try a deep fryed candy bar, sounds a little strange to me. anyone ever had one? does it mess up the oil?

samjjones
12-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Pot stickers.

mrkilla
12-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Banana's Twinkies and Oreos

also rednecks liek to deep fry turkeys i hear, tell me how that works out

Shajen
12-27-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a redneck, but deep-fried turkey is amazing.

Get some peanut oil and go to town. It's beautiful.

vexvelour
12-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Chicken Wings
Potato chips/fries (fresh potatoes)

Lots of stuff from the frozen food aisle, such as egg rolls and stuff.

unlucky513
12-27-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its only 4 liters, i might have a hard time fitting a turkey in there.

pokerdirty
12-27-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

its only 4 liters, i might have a hard time fitting a turkey in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

babies.

crunchy1
12-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Buy a can of pilsbury biscuits...

separate them as you would if you were baking them...

Punch a little hole with your index finger in the center...

Deep fry until golden brown...

Top with a cinnamon and sugar mixture (4:1)...

OtisTheMarsupial
12-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Disgusting.

Just be sure not to throw that used oil down the drain or bury it in your yard or toss it in the trash. It's a hazardous waste and needs to be taken down to your local garbage collection center. Or just reuse it. Or give it to the biodiesel guy in Arizona

drewjustdrew
12-27-2005, 01:38 PM
jalapeno poppers and breaded mushrooms

we deep fried our turkey for christmas. it was great!

gorie
12-27-2005, 02:29 PM
mmmm donuts.

mattw
12-27-2005, 03:25 PM
i have heard that deep frying candy bars (babe ruth) is common in EU and in canada. i have never tried and agree it sounds strange.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
I got a deep fryer for Christmas that I've only fried turkeys in so far. I have plans for cheese curds, pizza rolls, fries, and corndogs, though, as well as boiling things like corn on the cob and crab legs. My wife's uncle got one a couple years ago and we fried EVERYTHING that would fit into it - pickles, chocolate-covered fruit, twinkies, cheese sticks...

WLVRYN
12-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Deep fried turkey is way, way better than oven cooked turkey. Plus it takes half as much time.

Also, there's a restaurant in Detroit that serves deep fried Twinkies with ice cream. Yummy.

drewjustdrew
12-27-2005, 04:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Deep fried turkey is way, way better than oven cooked turkey. Plus it takes half as much time.

Also, there's a restaurant in Detroit that serves deep fried Twinkies with ice cream. Yummy.

[/ QUOTE ]

less than half the time. 1.5 hours for 18 lb. bird for us, including the time to heat up the oil.

12-27-2005, 04:11 PM
http://www.engr.utexas.edu/bme/faculty/schmidt/Research/TissEng/Img_BypassGraft.jpg

unlucky513
12-27-2005, 04:16 PM
eh, i'm 21 - i'll start worrying about heart troubles later on /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

samjjones
12-27-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

less than half the time. 1.5 hours for 18 lb. bird for us, including the time to heat up the oil.

[/ QUOTE ]
5 minutes per lb.? That is pretty impressive. How is the cleanup/disposal of such a huge amount of oil?

12-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I have one of those my my night stand.

No one mentioned Chicken Wings yet.

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-27-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
5 minutes per lb.? That is pretty impressive. How is the cleanup/disposal of such a huge amount of oil?

[/ QUOTE ]
Cleanup is easy - there's a spicket and a little hose you attach to it and just drain it back into the original container. Do with it what you will. Supersoakers could be fun, particularly if you live near the woods and there's a chance of attracting some bears or raccoons.

drewjustdrew
12-27-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.engr.utexas.edu/bme/faculty/schmidt/Research/TissEng/Img_BypassGraft.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

These are better pan-fried IMO.

Songwind
12-27-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you know what you're doing, deep frying doesn't add much in the way of additional fat.

Ulysses
12-27-2005, 08:54 PM
lucky,

Cheese.

12-27-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just don't use crisco or any of those other horrible oils and you'll be fine

tonypaladino
12-28-2005, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i have heard that deep frying candy bars (babe ruth) is common in EU and in canada. i have never tried and agree it sounds strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a british place near my house that sells deep fried mars bars and twinkies. The mars bars are extraordinary.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-28-2005, 02:53 AM
We had a frying party for the last day of my AP chem class in high school. Highlights: oreos, candy bars, cheeses (fresh mozzerlla and a sharp cheddar being my personal favorites). Also, this one kid had a McDonalds cheeseburger, which he let me have and fry. That was an incredible day.

RunDownHouse
12-28-2005, 02:58 AM
Please tell me you're going to jump into homebrewing 10gal batches now that you have a turkey fryer.

Schwartzy61
12-28-2005, 06:26 AM
PICKLES

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-28-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Please tell me you're going to jump into homebrewing 10gal batches now that you have a turkey fryer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some day, my friend. Some day.

handsome
12-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Where does one get one of these deep fryers?

unlucky513
12-28-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where does one get one of these deep fryers?

[/ QUOTE ]

anywhere that sells kitchen appliances

bobbyi
12-28-2005, 12:57 PM
We have one of these. I mostly use it for french fries and tater tots, but we have done Snickers bars before. We used the small ("fun size") ones. Search online and you'll find instructions. The candy bar needs to be breaded. If you just throw a Snickers in there, it will just melt into the oil. Properly breaded, they are very good. Crispy fried breading on the outside filled with melted chocolate bar. Mmmmm.

CORed
12-28-2005, 03:20 PM
I you're going to make french fries (chips to the Brits), just buy some potatoes and cut them up. You will get much better fries than you will using pre-cut frozen crap.

Lazymeatball
12-28-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I you're going to make french fries (chips to the Brits), just buy some potatoes and cut them up. You will get much better fries than you will using pre-cut frozen crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a chip pan in my house and we primarily use it for pre-made store french fries, however when we have time we put in the effort to make home made french fries with our krinle-cutter knife. I reccomend letting the chopped chips sit in the fridge overnight in paper towels to dry out a bit first.

The other reccomendation I have, NEVER change the oil ever, it adds to the flavor. As long as you just use it for chips and not a bunch of other sugary or breaded stuff, it won't get a whole bunch of junk floating in it. (ok, exageration, change the oil once a year.)

Songwind
12-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Also change the oil if you do fish or poultry in it.

astroglide
12-28-2005, 07:11 PM
when i worked at jack in the box the food tasted infinitely better when the grease was changed

Blarg
12-28-2005, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
eh, i'm 21 - i'll start worrying about heart troubles later on /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes it starts in infancy. You've already got some.