PDA

View Full Version : Curtains 4: TT Facing Minraise

sofere
12-26-2005, 07:41 PM
PartyPoker, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com (http://www.pregopoker.com/hhconv/convert)

UTG (t1110)
UTG+1 (t3713)
CO (t765)
Hero (t2535)
SB (t862)
BB (t1015)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises t400</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, hero...

microbet
12-26-2005, 07:49 PM
What's the big stack been up to? I definitely don't want to do anything dumb here against big stack. 6 players left, but that is going to change very quickly in this game.

If big stack is a solid player who just pwns like that, I could reraise. There are 1000 chips in the pot and I don't wanna let someone abuse me too much. But, against a lot of players I could just be a wuss and fold.

ravensfan
12-26-2005, 08:04 PM
This seems fishy, but what do you guys think of reraising to $1000 w/o any reads on villian? It gives the opportunity to fold if he comes over the top and still be in good position, but it can also take down the pot and represent strength. Or is this just asking to be reraised and effectively handing over your comfortable tournament standing?
Like i say, it seems fishy, but would it be viable if original bettor is likely to fold at least half the time?

jeffraider
12-26-2005, 08:07 PM
I probably call looking to either move in on an overpair flop and play velly carefully on others.

sofere
12-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Not much in the way of reads that I can tell...looks like villain hasn't done anything extraordinary. At least nothing that curtains could have noticed while 10-tabling.

benza13
12-26-2005, 09:25 PM
I don't like reraising to 1000 at all, as you are giving very good odds to call. Depending on the big stack I am either pushing or calling and seeing how the flop looks before committing any more chips.

12-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Pushing here is terrible IMHO, and reraising is even worse. Position still matters! Call and play careful poker.

kyro
12-26-2005, 10:07 PM
I've come to the conclusion that if every opponent minraised me regardless of their hands, my ROI would be cut in half. Anytime I see it, I freeze up completely, expecting a monster. I'd fold here. And I know that's wrong.

SammyKid11
12-26-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've come to the conclusion that if every opponent minraised me regardless of their hands, my ROI would be cut in half. Anytime I see it, I freeze up completely, expecting a monster. I'd fold here. And I know that's wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - Same here, BTW. I call and play for set/overpair value...however, I'm not at all happy about pushing with overpair tens in this spot. Maybe I should just fold, too.

microbet
12-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Calling could be good I guess, but your chip position is so good that busting with an overpair is tragic, the implied odds probably aren't good enough to play for a set, SB or BB WILL push if they get a reasonable hand, UTG+1 could push over their push just for the hell of it, and a lot of flops like Q72 or such will have you folding the best hand and wasting a lot of chips.

curtains
12-26-2005, 10:51 PM
I called preflop. Everyone else folded. Then an amazing thing happened that many pepole seem to think never occurs. The flop came QQ4 and my opponent checked!!! I bet some normal amount and they folded. Easy game...the worst case scenarios don't happen every time. If my opponent check raised I'd have folded.

jeffraider
12-26-2005, 11:05 PM
What if your opponent led out for the same normal amount you bet on that flop, btw?

curtains
12-26-2005, 11:19 PM
I believe I'd lean towards flat calling and seeing how they react on the turn (I believe they will check a good portion of the time). Raising the flop would also be quite reasonable. It would depend how I felt.

microbet
12-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Pot was 1100. Normal amount? Like 600? You have like 1500 left and the pot is then like 1700. This is all after pretty good preflop action with the blinds folding (right?). Not crazy or anything, but seems precarious.

I'll be thinking about this one for sure.

curtains
12-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Depends what their normal amount is.... I dunno /images/graemlins/smile.gif I just assumed 400 or something. I figure guys who min raise preflop bet small on the flop too /images/graemlins/smile.gif I agree that flat calling 600 is a bit weird. Id probably make my decision then and there.

12-27-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This seems fishy, but what do you guys think of reraising to $1000 w/o any reads on villian? It gives the opportunity to fold if he comes over the top and still be in good position, but it can also take down the pot and represent strength. Or is this just asking to be reraised and effectively handing over your comfortable tournament standing?

[/ QUOTE ]
I hate the reraise to 1000. It gives AK/AQ a chance to push over you. And if you fold there, you've just been owned.

I think the choices here could probably be ranked in the following order, from best to worst: call, fold, push, raise.

12-27-2005, 02:16 AM
pushing is a bad play since you'll only get called by 24 hands of overpair or 16 hands ok AK, overall garbage EV for this tournament since you're almost certainly endin up in the money by just chilling out. calling or raising a decent raise both seem debatable...
call:
If there's no reads whats so ever calling is not bad, since you'll have position, no need to neutralize that if he re-raises.
You'll have a chance to analyze the flop before committing more chips putting yourself in a spot of taking away your vast lead over most of the other players...
Raise:
he's chip leader, probably just flexing his muscles to fasten the game and stealing blinds, 10s is probably a favorite against his range of hands.
he's got a HUGE stack when not many ppl are out - probably (more than60%) didn't get there by playing very solid poker, unless its very low stakes like 5~10.
You are the two big stacks at the table, you'll probably be butting heads couple rounds from now when only a few ppl are left and the blinds have gone up, you wanna be the penis and him the vagina, not the other way around, since the ability to steal blinds is one of the most edges you can extract in high blinds crapshoot.

overall its a tough call to make. i tried to overanalyze this as much as i wanted to, but i'm sure there are more things to look at here.

12-27-2005, 04:33 AM
This seems pretty standard...you probably have the best hand, and position, and are the best player at the table (hopefully), so call and play poker on the flop. If you flop a set, play for all his chips, if the flop is ultra scary and he bets it, just chuck it, if the flop looks decent, play to get rid of your opponent cheaply, and if you meet too much resistance, believe it and chuck it.

danger_mouse
12-27-2005, 05:16 AM
Most cases I'm calling. Against certain lags, I'll raise. Against certain tight weaks, I'll raise. Folding is just wrong.

If I'm multi-tabling, I'm always just calling cause I have no verifiable reads.