PDA

View Full Version : My friend got fired for saying "Merry Christmas"

12-26-2005, 02:52 PM
He worked at Modell's sporting goods, and a Jewish customer had bought something. He said "Merry Christmas", and the customer said "Thanks, but I celebrate Hanukah". He replied with: "Ok, have a merry christmas, remember the Christ". The Jewish customer was not amused.

Trantor
12-26-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He worked at Modell's sporting goods, and a Jewish customer had bought something. He said "Merry Christmas", and the customer said "Thanks, but I celebrate Hanukah". He replied with: "Ok, have a merry christmas, remember the Christ". The Jewish customer was not amused.

[/ QUOTE ]
So he/she didn't get sacked for saying "Merry Chritmas"!!

tolbiny
12-26-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sounds like your friend got fired for being a douche.

12-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Yea, but that wouldn't have made as good of a title /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Also, I'm not sure what tone he used, it may have been joking but I assume that would still qualify as "douche".

hmkpoker
12-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Your friend is a [censored] retard. I'd have fired him too.

12-26-2005, 04:23 PM
This may be so, but wouldn't you agree that people are too uptight? I think your reply is a good example.

Don Olney
12-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Just shows---friends of poker players ARE STUPID

12-26-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just shows---friends of poker players ARE STUPID

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a stereotype /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

hmkpoker
12-26-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This may be so, but wouldn't you agree that people are too uptight? I think your reply is a good example.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, your friend was too genuinely stupid to realize that it wasn't a good idea to preach his religion openly to someone of a different faith in a place of business. If he did the sensible thing and said "Oh, well have a Happy Hanukkah," or just avoided the issue by saying "Have a happy holiday," then there's no cause for concern, but [censored] him, he's an imbecile.

12-26-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, your friend was too genuinely stupid to realize that it wasn't a good idea to preach his religion openly to someone of a different faith in a place of business. If he did the sensible thing and said "Oh, well have a Happy Hanukkah," or just avoided the issue by saying "Have a happy holiday," then there's no cause for concern, but [censored] him, he's an imbecile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or perhaps he hated his job anyway, and decided it would be funny to pick on an uptight client.

tolbiny
12-26-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is being to uptight- the guy who fired him, or the jewish guy who (presumably) complained? The guy who fired him was likely correct- i certainly wouldn't want my employees making statements that are likely to drive customers away. As for the Jewish guy, he has a legitimate complaint about his service, and is free to report it.

12-26-2005, 06:48 PM
The Jewish guy, for actually bothering to report it?

wmspringer
12-26-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Double Down
12-27-2005, 01:20 AM
"Or perhaps he hated his job anyway, and decided it would be funny to pick on an uptight client."

From what you say, all the client said was, "Thanks, but I'm Jewish." Not quite sure if this qualifies as an uptight client.

SammyKid11
12-27-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right...Jews deserve to be walked on by ignorant Christian dicktards. He tried to let your friend know politely that he didn't celebrate Christmas, and your friend responded like an assbag. But you're right, the Jewish guy REPORTING such assbaggery is the one who's at fault here.

Wow.

Edit To Add:
I wonder if you (or your friend) or serious Christians would be so callous about this issue if it were reversed. IE- Christian goes to secular store to buy presents, is checking out, and the checker says, "Happy Hanukah"...to which the Christian politely replies, "thanks but I'm Christian and celebrate Christmas"...and then polite Christian customer gets told, "okay, Happy Hanukah...remember Christ was a fraud who never rose from the grave and is a false god you're worshipping."

Yeah, I'm sure most Christians would let that one roll right off their back.

lastsamurai
12-27-2005, 05:57 AM
Did he work for twoplustwo? /images/graemlins/wink.gif where is your god now?

12-27-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right...Jews deserve to be walked on by ignorant Christian dicktards. He tried to let your friend know politely that he didn't celebrate Christmas, and your friend responded like an assbag. But you're right, the Jewish guy REPORTING such assbaggery is the one who's at fault here.

Wow.

Edit To Add:
I wonder if you (or your friend) or serious Christians would be so callous about this issue if it were reversed. IE- Christian goes to secular store to buy presents, is checking out, and the checker says, "Happy Hanukah"...to which the Christian politely replies, "thanks but I'm Christian and celebrate Christmas"...and then polite Christian customer gets told, "okay, Happy Hanukah...remember Christ was a fraud who never rose from the grave and is a false god you're worshipping."

Yeah, I'm sure most Christians would let that one roll right off their back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I am FAR from a serious Christian, or a member of any religious group for that matter, and therefor I couldn't answer your question from that perspective, but I know if I went to a Jewish-owned store and bought something, and the storekeeper told me "Happy Hanukah" as I was leaving, I would simply reply with a "you too" instead of letting him know how thats not my holiday, as I really doubt he cares. What I celebrate is MY business. I wouldn't tell him how I don't celebrate Hanukah, just as I don't tell people that tell me "Merry Christmas" that I don't celebrate that. No one CARES what you celebrate, so why bother telling some random person "Yea but I don't celebrate that"? Good for you. Just accept the kind words for what they are without any further implication and leave the store.

BTW, you are too uptight.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-27-2005, 10:07 AM
He didn't get fired for saying "Merry Christmas", he got fired for being an a$$hole to a customer.

12-27-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, but that wouldn't have made as good of a title

[/ QUOTE ]

Rick Nebiolo
12-27-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The title of this thread was certainly misleading.

Some quick points:

Your Friend: MUCH BETTER to an *unknown* customer to say "Happy Holidays". CLEARLY WRONG to say "Merry Christmas" if the customer was known not to celebrate Christmas.

Jewish Customer: SOMEWHAT BETTER to let greetings of Merry Christmas roll off him.

Friend: WAY OVER THE LINE to reply "Ok, have a merry christmas, remember the Christ"

Jewish Customer: CLEARLY CORRECT (in fact, he may have a moral obligation) to report the cleck to management or the owner. The owner needs to know that he has someone working for him that is completely lacking in sense and therefore costing him money.

Regarding the last point:

Let's say you try a restaurant for the first time and note that everything seems dirty - e.g. the counter, table, silverware. bathroom and so on. It's apparent the management or ownereship doesn't care so you don't go back and you should tell your friends to avoid the place. In this case there isn't a good reason to report the problems to uncaring management (but you may want to notify the Board of Health).

You are also a regular in a place that is usually very clean. One day you dine there and notice, for the first time, that the bathroom is a dirty, unkempt mess. In this case you are obligated to tell the manager/owner since it's very likely that he would want this taken care of immediately (perhaps he assigned the task to a lazy, dishonest employee - one he should fire).

~ Rick

benkahuna
12-27-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your friend was basically proselytizing and being a intolerant of someone else's deepest held beliefs. I think it's not just bad customer service. I think it's bad humanity. Of course, that's what I believe and who am I to impose my beliefs on others? I would like to mention that my belief seems to cause less trouble than people pushing their beliefs on others.

Your friend would have to be very, very socially skilled to pull of his comment and make it appear to be a good-natured joke. If he didn't know the person, and probably very well, it's really, really stupid to make a comment like that.

I found his comment to be funny, but I like verbal sparring, am easily amused, and am not offended very easily.

As the guy's boss, I'd fire him too. As an employer, you need to consider the needs and desires of the rest of humanity and not just your own way of thinking.

12-27-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I found his comment to be funny, but I like verbal sparring, am easily amused, and am not offended very easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

Likewise.

[ QUOTE ]
As the guy's boss, I'd fire him too. As an employer, you need to consider the needs and desires of the rest of humanity and not just your own way of thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fire him too if I received such a complaint, but not because of a "humanity" thing, because it may hurt my business and its not worth losing any clients over. But like I said, you wouldn't have heard that complaint from me, because the situation wouldn't have been able to have happened, as I would have just kept it at "you too".

OtisTheMarsupial
12-27-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Analogous insult:
clerk: Have a good day, Sir.
customer: I'm female.
clerk: OK, have a good day, Sir. Remember to shake after you pee.
customer: I'm reporting you for your rude behavior.
boss: Clerk, you're fired.