PDA

View Full Version : Kill Phil

12-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Anyone else read it and try it? I dont think it can be used online..

For it to work you have to assume the other players can lay down KJ, 44, QTs to an all in move for more than half their chips. Online, with the exception of the top players, they cannot.

Anyone else who has read it have thoughts on this?

Edit:
I now have to add QTo to that list

jonoo
12-26-2005, 03:21 PM
what is it?

12-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Blair Rodman's new book

jmillerdls
12-26-2005, 03:35 PM
I have read it and have been trying to apply it to my play at the $11 tourneys (just moved back up to the $20's the last 2 days this month).

I am very impressed with my results. While the sample size is too small (300 $11 SNGs), I have been getting an over 30% ROI (opposed to my 11% over my first 2k $11 tournies)...It is very likely this is just a huge heater (the biggest one I have ever had), but until I see otherwise, I'm going to keep believing in what I have been doing.

12-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Really... ok i admit this is a very small sample, but did it for 5 sng's in a row and got a 5th and 4 4ths...

yes small sample but not finding great results at the 22 level

also tried it in 3 MTT with very bad results.

Again seemed people were willing to call with junk and get lucky

nthn2fancy
12-26-2005, 04:04 PM
wow u played 2k $11s?

wmspringer
12-26-2005, 04:49 PM
LOL, I first read that as "over 300% ROI"

jmillerdls
12-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Yeah, about the same in 20's...keep going back and forth between the two when my bankroll changes (I withdraw every now and then for living expenses). For instance, a day before the Kill Phil book arrived, I went on a 15 buyin downswing at the 20's...so I moved back down at the 10's, and made over 70 buyins within a week and have now moved back to the 20's.

ephemeral
12-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Hi Dogger,

My name is Lee Nelson and I'm the co-author of Kill Phil with Blair Rodman.

A number of players have reported improved results using Kill Phil strategies for online play. The Kill Phil strategies are dependent upon what hands typical players are likely to call with. Although we designed our online strategy to reflect a looser playing standard, if you're consistently finding that players in the tournaments you're playing are willing to commit all their chips when faced with an all-in decision, with hands such as QTo or KJ, we'd suggest tightening by a group or two. In loose-calling games overbetting your big hands pays huge dividends.

Additionally, if you determine that you're one of the better players at the level of play you've chosen, you're the Phil! In instances such as this, relying on small ball should serve you well, until the later stages of the tournament where long ball applications are particularly useful for maintaining stack size and determining when to call desperate short stacks. Also the Beyond Basic and Expert sections of the text should be utilized. These sections apply both to live and online tournaments.

Regards,

Lee

12-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks lee, like i said, it is a small sample. I think that is what i am going to do is try my usual small ball then use KP when I am short or up against a player i know is better and i am out of position.

fnord_too
12-26-2005, 09:37 PM
I just ordered it on Mason's glowing review of the first 140 pages, but I had (and still have) the feeling that it will be pretty old hat for someone who has spent any amount of time in the STT forum if the book is about what I think it is.