PDA

View Full Version : its death camps all the way (2 m.o. article though)

brad
07-27-2003, 08:21 PM
http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,6494000,00.html
[ QUOTE ]
THE US has floated plans to turn Guantanamo Bay into a death camp, with its own death row and execution chamber.

Prisoners would be tried, convicted and executed without leaving its boundaries, without a jury and without right of appeal, The Mail on Sunday newspaper reported yesterday.
The plans were revealed by Major-General Geoffrey Miller, who is in charge of 680 suspects from 43 countries, including two Australians.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM
07-27-2003, 08:23 PM
and merely having an execution chamber turns it into a "death camp"???

well then I guess we already have a great many "death camps" in this country because so many prisons have execution chambers.

If they start executing large numbers of people there then you've got a point. Otherwise it is spin.

Jeez brad look for the spin once in a while and maybe you'll find it;-)

brad
07-27-2003, 09:21 PM
i guess you dont understand the point about juries.

summary execution (in secret) = good. maybe even doubleplus good!

btw if you think this is it and it wont be expanded then you r naive.

brad
07-27-2003, 09:31 PM
even nazis got public trial and due process.

secret arrests, summary trials, and executions = tyranny.

Wake up CALL
07-27-2003, 09:55 PM
summary execution (in secret) = good. maybe even doubleplus good

i agree this is a good commie idea too brad, good work. kill them all and let allah sort them out /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MMMMMM
07-27-2003, 10:10 PM
aren't they talking about foreign illegal combatants?

I guess they could just shoot them overseas too--no jury trial that way either--do you actually think every al Qaedan who tries to shoot or blow up Americans overseas is entitled to a jury trial? They're lucky they aren't shot dead on the spot--it's probably very few in Gitmo who might be executed anyway. Would you rather have them dead or alive (remember they want to kill you).

your link didn't work

brad
07-27-2003, 10:12 PM
youre right bush is a commie. im being 100% serious.

he said hes gonna sign big gun control bills, etc.

MMMMMM
07-27-2003, 10:14 PM
Well better to kill them than they kill you. That's what they are committed to doing and are willing to die for it and they even say so.

brad
07-27-2003, 10:20 PM
http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,6494000,00.html

you have to copy and paste for some reason the above into address bar.

hey dirty bomber guy is american he is being held as combatant. (arrested in detroit)

p.s. remember fdr's pledge that s.s. card or # would never be used for i.d. purposes?

MMMMMM
07-27-2003, 10:52 PM
Ok, so you bring up some possible concerns for the future, BUT I think you may be letting your emotions do some of your thinking here. Try separating things a bit.

The creation of an execution chamber at Gitmo does not imply the place is being turned into a "death camp."

Padilla and Hamdi are the exceptional cases.

The issue of FDR's pledge is fairly irrelevant to this topic but it may be worth discussing separately.

TAFKAn
07-28-2003, 02:13 AM
remember fdr's pledge that s.s. card or # would never be used for i.d. purposes

Another elitist left-winger who felt he knew what was best for the "little guy", whether said little guy wanted it or not.

nicky g
07-28-2003, 06:42 AM
"aren't they talking about foreign illegal combatants? "

What does this mean? Why was it illegal to fight on behalf of the Taliban? Bush has simply made this category up; it has never been illegal to fight for a country's government army. The fact that they were foreign is irrelevant; there are plenty foreigners in the US army. There is no such thing as an illegal comabtant; the only legal international framework under which to try combatants after a conflict is for war crimes.

MMMMMM
07-28-2003, 09:39 AM
For combatants to be legal there are certain guidelines they must follow--according to international convention. I read this somewhere and you can search for it if you like. They must be fighting for a recognized country and wear identifiable markings on their clothing. There are several other guidelines I don't recall and I'm just starting on my first cup of coffee. Please feel free to search google; I bet you'll find it.