PDA

View Full Version : Stars VIP Program

LuckyStiff
12-26-2005, 04:37 AM
Is anyone disappointed with the new Poker Stars VIP plan?

Rootabager
12-26-2005, 05:55 AM
I think it's pretty great. I dont know what you expected, but i really liked it.

O Doyle Rules
12-26-2005, 01:05 PM
What are you comparing it to?

LuckyStiff
12-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Compared to the Party VIP program, it seems to be very well thought out and clearly stated. The only problem I have with it is that the value of the awards equates to about $0.01 per hand even at the Supernova level--not really comparable to a good rakeback deal

O Doyle Rules
12-26-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Compared to the Party VIP program, it seems to be very well thought out and clearly stated. The only problem I have with it is that the value of the awards equates to about $0.01 per hand even at the Supernova level--not really comparable to a good rakeback deal

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the value of each FPP is almost .02. Due to the fact that once you hit SuperNova you are collecting them at 3.5 times faster, I think depending upon what limit you play, it would work out to far greater than .01 per hand.

$3/$6 SH worked out for me to be .625 FPP per hand. .625 times 3.5 equals 2.19 FPP per hand. That would work out to over .04 per hand once you hit SuperNova.

Throw in the over 2.7 million (yearly) in weekly and monthly free rolls your value per hand goes way up.

augie00
12-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Compared to getting rakeback on party, the Stars VIP program is pathetic.

Compared to no rakeback and the party VIP program, it blows party out of the water.

Greg Miller
12-26-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Compared to no rakeback and the party VIP program, it blows party out of the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that the Stars rake is lower to begin with. And keep in mind that BW has charts detailing the value of FPPs when spent in various ways.

Olback
12-26-2005, 09:43 PM
I quite liked it. It allows you to not only enter freerolls but save up your FPP's for entry into the WSOP etc. And the deal is clearly stated and i assume will be honoured (better then on Party).

My only beef is having the freerolls set for the US so they are on between 1am and 4am here.

augie00
12-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Nothing can substitute for 25% rakeback in cold hard cash. And there is no arguing this. If you have rakeback at party and play at stars anyway, you are a damn fool.

LuckyStiff
12-27-2005, 12:51 AM
Who has rakeback on Party?

augie00
12-27-2005, 01:36 AM
all the cool kids

Pokeraddict
12-27-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Who has rakeback on Party?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody does

12-27-2005, 03:21 AM
I really like it. It looks like they have a lot of cool stuff for sale in the store. I would rather get cash, but I'm sure there is some way around it...

obsidian
12-27-2005, 09:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, sort of. The Stars VIP isn't too bad actually. I posted this in another thread:

Ok, I've done a little math. I play $15/30 or $20/40 and it looks like about 83% of all hands are raked for >= $1. 125,000 points are needed for a $2000 dell gift card. That works to around 150,000 hands to play. Now I will assume Supernova status which means you earn points at 3.5x the rate so now I need to play 43,000 hands for the $2000 gift card. My average rake per hand at PP 15/30 full is $.23. This means I would generate abut $10k in rake to earn a $2k gift card so about 20% rakeback minus how much I lose in the ebay sale (about $100 I'm guessing).

1p0kerb0y
12-27-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would rather get cash, but I'm sure there is some way around it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking about this and came up with an idea. I will be purchasing items in the FPP but for those who are willing to give up a little bit to get cold hard cash...

Get an entry into one of the Sunday guaranteed tournaments. Unregister from the tournament and get T$. Sell the T$ for 90% of their value (the going rate) in the multi-table tournaments forum. They are VERY easy to sell there.

augie00
12-27-2005, 12:49 PM
So your ballpark estimate turns Stars VIP into 20% rakeback at supernova status. Now please explain to me how this is better than 25% rakeback. For all the hype that Lee Jones gave us, how is 20% rakeback NOT pathetic.

And no, the freerolls are BS. The only value would be in the supernova freerolls and they do not start until APRIL. Stars made sure they wouldn't give away any free money to someone who bothered to make supernova early.

People are trying really hard to justify playing at stars for some reason, maybe because the allure of a 50 inch plasma TV or a new car. Guess what? You can buy a plasma TV with cash!

obsidian
12-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Well while 20% < 25%, I wouldn't exactly call it pathetic. I have a good party affiliate and really am not considering a move to stars. Especially considering that the 15/30 and higher game selection isn't very great there. I just see this as a good start. And yea, I agree that freerolls are lame.

ipp147
12-27-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would rather get cash, but I'm sure there is some way around it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Was thinking about this and came up with an idea. I will be purchasing items in the FPP but for those who are willing to give up a little bit to get cold hard cash...

Get an entry into one of the Sunday guaranteed tournaments. Unregister from the tournament and get T$. Sell the T$ for 90% of their value (the going rate) in the multi-table tournaments forum. They are VERY easy to sell there.

[/ QUOTE ]

They will not give you T$ in this promotion but an untransferable/unsellable "ticket"

Shoe
12-27-2005, 09:01 PM
The rake is also a little lower at Stars -- so that could make up for the 5% difference in rakeback. Again, just getting cold hard cash back from Party is a lot more convenient though, and you have to play a ton of hands at Stars each year before you start getting your 20% rakeback for the rest of the year.

Not to mention the game selection is better at Party.

Degen
12-27-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So your ballpark estimate turns Stars VIP into 20% rakeback at supernova status. Now please explain to me how this is better than 25% rakeback. For all the hype that Lee Jones gave us, how is 20% rakeback NOT pathetic.

And no, the freerolls are BS. The only value would be in the supernova freerolls and they do not start until APRIL. Stars made sure they wouldn't give away any free money to someone who bothered to make supernova early.

People are trying really hard to justify playing at stars for some reason, maybe because the allure of a 50 inch plasma TV or a new car. Guess what? You can buy a plasma TV with cash!

[/ QUOTE ]

he actually convinced me a little bit

i hate party, absolutely hate them...with a difference of only 5% added to a better site, 1000x better support, lesser rake etc...i think this is a compelling case for everybody to switch to stars

if we could only convince the fish...

O Doyle Rules
12-27-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

if we could only convince the fish...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think Stars will be able to convince more fish to play there with this program if it gets publicized with the general poker playing public and outside of just your hardcore players that read this forum.

I know they sure have set the hook on me. I'm like a big marlin flopping around and am ready to be pulled into the boat.

augie00
12-27-2005, 11:34 PM
you know, I was thinking about it tonight, and I just may switch to stars later on in the year, when rakeback means a little less and my bankroll is nice and big. EPT entries would really be nice, and if I cash in one then that's some pretty good rakeback.

I just emailed the party VIP club and was reminded about how much I HATE HATE HATE partypoker. I hadn't dealt with them in a couple weeks and I was forgetting how much they suck.

I asked about January VIP offers and of course they said "to keep the VIP club exciting offers change from month to month. We will not be able to provide you details of future promotions"

I HATE YOU PARTY /images/graemlins/mad.gif

12-28-2005, 12:26 AM
I thought we were "damn fool"s if we play at Stars when unmentionable is available for potty?

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

augie00
12-28-2005, 01:51 AM
I guess it depends on your financial situation and how much money means to you.

imported_leader
12-28-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You pay significantly less in rake at 3/6 and 5/10. Compare the rake structures. There's a big difference. Of course at 10/20+ it doesn't make that much difference, so PP+that think no one has is better.

MicroBob
12-28-2005, 05:10 AM
"For all the hype that Lee Jones gave us"

I think Lee mentioned it ONCE. He just said that they were working on their VIP club which would include the possibility of spending your FPP's on WSOP and PCA entries (and other stuff).

To my knowledge, this was ALL he said about it.

So I don't blame Lee for over-hyping it or anything like that.
All the hype came from 2+2'ers like Augie and others (me included) possibly with over-active imaginations who kept saying, "I want it NOW. I can't wait" etc etc.
This was partly due to the overall growing frustration with the Party VIP incompetence.

I agree with both sides.
It's not mind-blowingly great, but it's a decent start.
And the fact that it's clearly spelled out (and competently) is very attractive compared with the party vagueness and lack of organization.

Just think what everyone here would be doing if Party implemented the same kind of program that Stars is using.

It's not THAT freaking hard to figure out what the players want and actually give it to them.
If Party really wants to keep the high-volume players they're just going to have to try harder...and pay attention to what's going on.

Listening to some of the legitimate complaints about the November pay-outs would be a start.
Not lying about December offers 'coming REALLY soon' would be a good idea too.

I did the marathon 25k points for the cruise thing (don't know ntil Jan 5 if I'm one of the first 30 players) but obviously that promotion wasn't attractive to most people.

12-28-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing can substitute for 25% rakeback in cold hard cash. And there is no arguing this. If you have rakeback at party and play at stars anyway, you are a damn fool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, especially if you play in the $30/60 Stud 8/b game that doesn't exist on Party, or the 15/30 Stud 8/b game, or the weekly $215, or the monthly, or the WCOOP, or the satellites, or ....

Kjell201
12-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Supernova VIP fpp bonus equals about 60% rakeback compared to Party.

Depending on what you play and how you use your fpps ofcourse but I got 60% as the highest possible rakeback compared to Party when playing on stars. (which means I included the lower rake as "rakeback").

You'll have to figure out what games to play to get that for yourselfs /images/graemlins/smile.gif

augie00
12-28-2005, 12:43 PM
I can't quote him directly, but Lee said the VIP program would make us forget all about rakeback. If that's not hype, I don't know what is.

augie00
12-28-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, especially if you play in the $30/60 Stud 8/b game that doesn't exist on Party, or the 15/30 Stud 8/b game, or the weekly $215, or the monthly, or the WCOOP, or the satellites, or ....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completley different for obvious reasons.

12-28-2005, 12:52 PM
You said that if you have rakeback at Party and play at Stars anyway, you are a damn fool.

There are good reasons to play places other than Party, even if you have rakeback, such as "game selection".

DCJ311
12-29-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Supernova VIP fpp bonus equals about 60% rakeback compared to Party.

Depending on what you play and how you use your fpps ofcourse but I got 60% as the highest possible rakeback compared to Party when playing on stars. (which means I included the lower rake as "rakeback").

You'll have to figure out what games to play to get that for yourselfs /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

60% rakeback at Supernova status just seems absurd, unless you're playing a real juicy game without playing many hands yourself. The most you can get is 28% based on my math.

If you play $100+10 sit and go's you'll get 50 FPP per. If you are Supernova that means you'll get 175 FPPs for that. The value of one FPP is ~1.6 cents, so 175 FPP = $2.80. Obviously $2.80 is 28% of $10, so you're generally getting about 28% rakeback at this level.

Maybe in ring games your #s will be a little better, but I can't imagine how 60% is possible.

2easy
12-29-2005, 07:40 PM
think he meant 60% OF what party's would be.

obsidian
12-29-2005, 08:37 PM
I would really like to play at stars, even if I took a slight cut in rakeback. The problem is their mid-limit game selection sucks.

2easy
12-29-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would really like to play at stars...a slight cut in rakeback...their mid-limit game selection sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm....makes sense to me. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

flair1239
12-29-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the inability of you people to stop blathering about rakeback on Party... I would take a secure 20%, over the 25% that can and probably willo be terminated without notice.

Stars can offer a lower actual percentage... because we all know they will stand by it. Meanwhile the Party Rakeback Affiliates, hold their breath every month... just hoping this won't be the month where the plug is pulled.

jba
12-29-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stars can offer a lower actual percentage... because we all know they will stand by it. Meanwhile the Party Rakeback Affiliates, hold their breath every month... just hoping this won't be the month where the plug is pulled.

[/ QUOTE ]

what a terrific point

guaranteed nightly lay of an 8/10 vs bangin your 9/10 HS girlfriend on her parents' couch wondering when they're coming downstairs

TXTiger
12-29-2005, 11:18 PM
10:15 PM EST and there are 2 people playing stud 8 above the 3/6 level on stars. Zero players above 10/20.