PDA

View Full Version : JJ Hand. Should I raise the turn?

Songwind
12-26-2005, 01:36 AM
No great reads here. The only players I was familiar with from before folded preflop. The table is moderately loose but tighter than the normal random micro table.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.05.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.
I figured I was up against QQ, KK, or AA when UTG+1 capped.

Flop: (19.40 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.
Joy. I bet out because I figured either UTG+1 didn't have as big a hand has he advertised before the flop, or he was going to check-raise with a set of kings. Either way, I wouldn't know anything if I checked it past.

Turn: (11.70 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.
Now I figure I'm really a mess with both a K and a Q here, plus the straight draw. No one bet the flush draw on the flop. When UTG+1 checks, I think maybe he's overplaying an ace or something. MP3 was completely unexpected and it rattled me. I thought about raising here, but wasn't sure what it would accomplish so I called.

River: (15.70 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.
After MP3's wake-up on the turn after coming along in a capped PF pot, I decided to check it by rather than risk being checkraised.

Final Pot: 15.70 BB

The only streets I'm pretty sure I played correctly are preflop and flop. I'd love to hear any comments on the whole hand.

Vote4Pedro
12-26-2005, 01:41 AM
just call

marchron
12-26-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I figure I'm really a mess with both a K and a Q here, plus the straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
You do realize you have said straight draw, and 6 outs to the nuts? Easy call. I'd probably fold the river UI if it was bet, but it wasn't.

Betting the flop is probably a mistake, but not a large one.

TripleH68
12-26-2005, 02:26 AM
On the turn you have OESD and if it hits you may claim the entire pot(since you have two of the jacks).

Call the turn.

nh.

Edit to add: villain would likely cap preflop with AKs also.

bozlax
12-26-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
6 outs to the nuts?

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif What cards would those be?

marchron
12-26-2005, 03:32 AM
Ah. You're right, since hitting a 9 means you still lose to A/J.

But considering we hold two jacks, A/J becomes more unlikely, as is a split pot with any other J/x.

12-26-2005, 11:45 AM
I think your beat on the turn, and only an A can save you, when you will almost certainly be splitting the pot with 4-to-a-straight, which halves your odds at least. A J won't save you either, for the same reason. *

Fold the turn.

* Not the same reason, the reason is in fact that a set will be beaten by a str8, which will certainly be made by a J on the board

Songwind
12-26-2005, 12:11 PM
For 14.5 to 1? I'm not confident that I'm beaten often enough to fold with the pot this big.

12-26-2005, 12:15 PM
the odds aren't that good because you will probably be splitting the pot.

AussieBattler
12-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Ive played quite a few hands at this level at stars so I hope my comments have some value

pre flop: standard. Dont give unknowns credit for big pairs at this level until they prove otherwise.
flop: I bet but I also know that any king will call down if out there.
turn: I normally call but you have dirty outs here so be careful. dont feel bad if you fold here and see a king or Queen with a rag.dont tie yourself to a river overcall. Those same callers will be your ATM later.
river: check it behind. no worse hand is folding and any Q or K is calling. you could even see 97...hehe.

youll get to see 3 hands at SD here....use them well. Often even one hand at SD on a fish will show what you suspected.

Songwind
12-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies. In the end, UTG+1 shows 5/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, MP3 shows 8/images/graemlins/club.gif4/images/graemlins/club.gif and CO shows T/images/graemlins/heart.gif9/images/graemlins/heart.gif and MHIG