PDA

View Full Version : NL$2 - AKo - I'm Sprewing Pennies

Mal_Pais
12-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Villian is 62/0/0.5 over 16 hands. I can't narrow down Villian's hand range here. How do I play the turn?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($3.54)
BB ($3.13)
UTG ($1.21)
Hero ($1.88)
Button ($2.35)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.09, BB calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.30) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.04</font>, BB calls $0.04, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.38</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.34.

Turn: ($1.10) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???

Fallen Hero
12-25-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian is 62/0/0.5 over 16 hands. I can't narrow down Villian's hand range here. How do I play the turn?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($3.54)
BB ($3.13)
UTG ($1.21)
Hero ($1.88)
Button ($2.35)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.09, BB calls $0.08.

Flop: ($0.30) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.04</font>, BB calls $0.04, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.38</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.34.

Turn: ($1.10) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???

[/ QUOTE ]

1) sit with $5
2) raise BIIIIIG pf
3) push the flop

12-25-2005, 11:05 PM
You must have lost your monthly paycheck in this hand.

ajmargarine
12-25-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1) sit with $5
2) raise BIIIIIG pf
3) push the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd advise you ignore the above advice.

100bb's is fine to sit with. 5xBB is fine preflop. Flop is also fine. Just because this is NL2, you don't throw good poker out the window.

Now, you're in a tough spot. You want to get to showdown cheap, but you also don't want to give a free card to a lone diamond. Maybe bet .50 and fold to a c/r all-in? Just because a three flush is on the board doesn't mean he has a flush.

12-25-2005, 11:30 PM
push for a pot sized bet.
he doesnt have diamonds, his flop raise says that.

ajmargarine
12-25-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very sad. Don't belittle a guy just because he posts a NL2 hand.

Mal_Pais
12-26-2005, 12:19 AM
No worries, I'm learning to play better poker on the cheap at these stakes, thanks to this forum. I lurk all the time. For Christmas, I bought myself PokerTracker and I'm learning to use it and GT+. Thanks to your post last month, AJ (your 'starting over' post), I've tranformed my game into a tight aggressive and got comfortable multi-tabling. Probably the best Christmas present I could have given myself.

Thanks for all of the advice. This place makes me a better player.

In this hand, the hand that made sense to me was what Villian showed down. I said out loud, "I'm not good enough yet to lay this down. If you got it, you got it", and got my chips in the pot (although donkish? probably should have just pushed the turn if I was going to play for my stack?). Here's the results, although not relevant to how I should play the hand. Big suckout.

SB ($3.54)
BB ($3.13)
UTG ($1.21)
Hero ($1.88)
Button ($2.35)

BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.4 (all-in)</font>, BB calls $0.40.

River: ($3.90) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $3.90

*** SHOW DOWN ***
Villian: shows [Jd Td] (a flush, Ace high)
Hero: shows [As Kh] (a full house, Aces full of Kings)
Hero collected $3.75 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $3.90 | Rake $0.15

Thanks again for the help.

Fallen Hero
12-26-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1) sit with $5
2) raise BIIIIIG pf
3) push the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd advise you ignore the above advice.

100bb's is fine to sit with. 5xBB is fine preflop. Flop is also fine. Just because this is NL2, you don't throw good poker out the window.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the games have tightned up since I left (doubtfull) that's perfect poker at the penny tables

my definition of perfect poker: the one that wins me the most money

and you shouldn't be sitting with 100bb's just because that's what they allow you to do at the other limits, you should try to cover the table if you think you're better than everyone else.

12-26-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not turn 2+2 into RGP please. If a moderator could address this BS, would be nice. This is small stakes, if you are going to berate someone for posting a small stakes hand, I think you should spare us and go troll OOT instead.

As for the OP, AJ certainly got this right: just because this is low stakes doesn't mean you should play worse.

First, I'll analyze this hand as if it were at somewhat higher stakes.

PF is fine, flop is fine, on the turn I think I may check behind. Was he seeing a lot of showdowns? Did he seem like a calling station or was he just loose preflop? You only have 16 hands so I really doubt you can accurately answer these questions. If I had more information, I think that would possibly sway my decision. He doesn't seem too aggressive, so I don't see him check/raising you here if he doesn't have you beat too often, but if you make a legitimate bet you will be pretty much committed. Although if he did hit on the turn , you can likely double through him if you hit your 4 outer on the river, which you could do for free by checking behind. Villain is pretty loose preflop, so he can have many different hands to make the flush here, but he can just as easily have a hand you have dominated, and he may have an ace or an even weaker hand with a lone diamond that he will gladly call a bet with which would be incorrect for you not to bet against. I don't like betting 50c here, as it looks/is very weak, and considering we only have 16 hands on this guy and don't know how he plays, he may slam it with a weaker hand he may think is good or on a semi-bluff and knock us off our hand if we actually plan on folding.

If I felt this guy wasn't a loose-passive calling station, I think I check behind, fold if he puts me in on river if I miss, raise or call a weak/medium bet depending on bet and river, and value bet if checked to. I obviously fold if 4th diamond comes and he bets, although I may flip a coin and stab for 1/2 the pot if checked to.

At NL2 however, this is DEFINATLY overanalyzing. Although putting some thought into your game at any level is going to give you a huge edge for obvious reasons, 90% of the time your villain here is going to be a moron calling station with a marginal hand, very likely to contain one diamond that he will gladly call with, making putting in another legitimate bet on the turn FAR better than checking behind.

Mal_Pais
12-26-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you should try to cover the table if you think you're better than everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've summed up why I'm buying in for 100bbs. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fallen Hero
12-26-2005, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
AJ certainly got this right: just because this is low stakes doesn't mean you should play worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
At NL2 however, this is DEFINATLY overanalyzing. Although putting some thought into your game at any level is going to give you a huge edge for obvious reasons, 90% of the time your villain here is going to be a moron calling station with a marginal hand, very likely to contain one diamond that he will gladly call with, making putting in another legitimate bet on the turn FAR better than checking behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Define play worse.

I understand your point (as I understand aj's point), the op shouldn't get into bad habits and should exercize hand reading and other fundamental skills to playing higher stakes. I understand all this, the fact is, you're both underating how bad .01/.02 is. I'd much rather play my hands at the highest +EV here and gather a roll to play higher and pratice "good" poker there.